FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Serious Brake Light issue with 07 GMC Sierra Trucks- Read and Share

c-abbott
New User
Posted: 11/07/07 07:53 PM

This is to notify all owners or potential owners of 07 GMC Sierra Trucks that you might want to take a look at your brake lights.  Specifically, if you press in your brake pedal all the way and slightly let up on the brake pedal do your brake lights go out while your brake are still holding your truck in place.  Here is my story in a very small nutshell.

While hauling a piece of equipment in the back of my 07 Sierra I came to a stop light while it was dark out and noticed that my third brake light was not on.I could tell by the reflection or lack there of on the equipment being hauled.  To make a very long story short I ran my truck through a series of test only to find out that all three brake lights went out with barely letting out on the brake pedal, and my brakes were still holding my truck into place.  OK, so after two brake switch replacements  at the dealer I still have the problem.  At the dealership we tested other brand new 07 Sierras on the lot and found them to do the exact same thing as mine.  Here we are today after filing complaints with the National Transportation Safery Administration (NTSA) (Telephone # found near the end of your owners manual) and complaining to GM I was told today by the GM customer assistance division that GM Engineering has taken the position that they are all desiged that way and that there was no fix!  I'm not sure if they are addressing the issue or if they have written it off.  Folks, I'm here to tell ya that this is a serious SAFETY issue for you. If you are parked at a stop light or sign and your brake lights are not on you are at risk. NTSA is looking into the matter but they need others to call in to complain if in fact your 07 is doing as described above.  If you have a concern I suppose you can take it to your dealer but GM Engineering supposedly made the call that this is in the design.  Right or Wrong ...You decide.  Me I'm not real happy about it.  If you do in fact have this problem and want to file a complaint you can call the NTSB investigator that I have been working with.  The # is 202-366-8537.  If you know someone who has an 07 GMC Sierra you may want to share this info with them.

Test:

Put truck in drive

Step on break all the way down.

Slightly and slowly let up on the brake and have someone tell you when the brake light go out.

If your truck brakes hold and your brake lights go out, you are at risk.

Call the # above

I'm just trying to save someones life.  Could be yours!  

Wheat
Posted: 11/07/07 08:23 PM

Take it to your dealer. The Brake light switch is adjustable in a matter of minutes.

Wheat  

c-abbott
New User
Posted: 11/08/07 11:45 AM

As stated above, the dealer has installed two break light switches and GM says all 07 Sierras do this. It's not SAFE! Provide me with the info and I will take that to my dealer so they can adjust it.  

Wheat
Posted: 11/08/07 02:44 PM

Its pretty straight forward to adjust, it screws in and out. Thanks for the heads up BTW..  

c-abbott
New User
Posted: 11/08/07 06:30 PM

Well, you may be thinking about a 07 Sierra that has an adjustable brake pedal.  Some have brake pedals that adjust many do not.  There is absolutely no adjustments that can be made.  Upon looking at it today it appears that the master cylinder rod that activates the break light switch and it tied into the brake pedal assembly does not have any back pressure on it therefor it is losing contact with the switch immediately after you start to let off of the brake pedal.  At the dealership today we tested other new 07's on the lot and on a 15% slope the breaks would hold the truck but the break lights were not on.  It isn't just my truck folks GM is going to have to think this one through.  If you have an 07 Sierra test yours and see what you think and decide for your self.  Appear safe to you?  

Wheat
Posted: 11/08/07 07:08 PM

I'm gonna Sticky this one till we get more answers....  

Balboa455
User
Posted: 11/09/07 09:38 AM

Since it is built on a similar platform, does this affect the GMC Yukon Denali I wonder? Just curious because my brother has a 2007 model of that vintage.  

c-abbott
New User
Posted: 11/26/07 07:22 PM

I have an update that many may be interested in.  Last week I received a call from General Motors stating that their engineers had been looking into this issue and they replaced a spring in the brake switch assembly with a spring that wasn't so strong.  Sceptical, I agreed to a third brake switch and it worked.  So to everyone out there that may be experiencing this problem,  it looks like there is a solution.  Not sure what General Motors is going to do about it at this point.  I would hope they would issue a voluntary recall.  Thought I would update!  For me I'm glad this is over.  I'm sorry there are folks driving around with faulty brake lights though.  

Balboa455
User
Posted: 11/27/07 09:54 AM

Thank you for the update! So often technicians are blindly replacing parts at the dealership so to have actual evidence of a fix is great...  

Wheat
Posted: 11/27/07 06:15 PM

I'm with Balboa, thanks for the update..  

Edward A. Sanchez
Guru
Posted: 11/29/07 10:29 AM

Why wouldn't it affect the Silverado, too? Not to upset the GMC Kool-Aid drinkers, but it's essentially the same truck.  

c-abbott
New User
Posted: 12/06/07 07:42 PM

I am pleased to report that I was contacted by NTSB National Transportation Safety Board yesterday that they have opened an official investigation with respect the the Brake Light Issue.  They have assigned it a case file and folks are now able to track the progress of the investigation on line.  If you have this problem call the # at the top in my first post and let them know!  Thanks for allowing me to post this info to your website!  MUCH APPRECIATED!  

Wheat
Posted: 12/06/07 09:49 PM

Good to hear Mang. Thanks for your posts..

Wheat  

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine