FORUMS

12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Many GM Car Owners Alleging Faulty Speedometers

Truck Trend
Administrator
Posted: 05/03/07 02:13 PM

Many GM Car Owners Alleging Faulty Speedometers

(CBS) It’s problem that could affect thousands of vehicles. Speedometers that leave you unable to judge whether the speed you're going is safe.

CBS' Anna Werner investigates a problem more and more drivers are experiencing with certain GMC trucks and SUV’s.

CBS Investigates has found hundreds of complaints to the government about allegedly faulty speedometers and mechanics and car owners who want General Motors Corp. to recall them and pay for the repairs.

Imagine cruising along, and all of a sudden, you have no way to tell how fast you're going: in a school zone, on a sharp curve, or simply in your neighborhood. It’s a problem more and more drivers say they're experiencing in a group of popular vehicles, including drivers like Lee Kratzer.

For Kratzer, the shock came when he was driving his GMC Yukon down the highway.

“I said, holy mackerel!” Kratzer said.

Why? Because when he looked down at his speedometer it read 120 miles an hour.

“I knew something was wrong then,” he said.

But what was wrong wasn't his speed. The next time his speedometer read 120, his car was stopped, parked in his own driveway.

“I would show it to my kids and I would say, look you guys can't get out yet, we're going 120 miles an hour. To them it was a big joke,” Kratzer said.

But Kratzer, a father of two, it wasn't so funny.

“My biggest concern was safety," he said. "You have to drive more what feels real safe and you can't count on the vehicle itself. Driving my kids to school that was actually the time when I would worry the most.”

When we drive, we constantly check our car's speedometer. It’s a measure of safety. However CBS has discovered that the owners of hundreds of GMC truck and SUV owners are reporting that their speedometers are suddenly failing, leaving them wondering what speed they are really going.

As many as 10 popular models including Suburbans, Tahoes, Silverados and Sierras are involved. One driver who's part of a lawsuit against GM shot video as his speedometer went nuts. On the video you can hear him saying “Alright, we're going 70, and we're sitting still". Then the video shows the car starting to move again, and his voice saying, “going about 20 miles an hour…but the speedometer shows 100.”

“Some are pegged at 120, some are bouncing all over,” says mechanic Jeff Oliphant, who specializes in speedometer repair. “We’ve never had one this bad, nothing to this magnitude.”

He believes the cause is a defective part is a tiny motor that activates the speedometer needle. He says it that costs $500 to $600 to repair.

“The amount of them, the quantity of vehicles that we have had in here that is what is staggering,” Oliphant said.

In fact, our own review of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data found more than 450 complaints, saying speedometers were "very erratic", “stuck at 60", “pinning at 120.”

One person said after his speedometer needle stuck at 140 mph, an officer gave him a ticket: What for? A broken speedometer.

The head of the Center for Auto Safety says, “When you're looking at over 400 complaints over five model years in ten different models, that's a widespread defect that GM simply has ignored.”

Expert Clarence Ditlow says GM should take action.

“A faulty speedometer is clearly a safety hazard," Ditlow said. "Clearly an accurate speedometer is a safe speedometer, and one that jumps all over the map should be recalled.”

GM’s response? A spokeswoman says because of ongoing litigation, they can't comment at this time. The litigation? A class-action lawsuit filed this week by San Francisco attorney Michael Ram. Lee Kratzer is one of the people suing.

The model years covered in that lawsuit are 2003 through 2007.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Source:
http://keyetv.com/topstories/local_story_122181951.html  

gruss1955
New User
Posted: 11/04/08 07:47 AM

Frown I own a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 pickup which is sitting parked right this moment in the lot at my job and my speedometer is reading 55 mph while it is sitting still. When you drive it the thing goes completely nuts going to 120 mph and beyond and sometimes not reading anything other than zero. GM needs to step up to the plate and recall these vehicles asap before someone gets seriously injured or killed in one of them. I wonder if the odometer is even accurate, this vehicle reads 75703 and the exhaust is as clean as a brand new vehicle. This truck still smells new inside, makes you wonder if it is reading accurate or if it is as screwed up as is the speedometer. Don't get me wrong I love this truck, I'm just scared of it until this problem is repaired and I can't afford to have it repaired right now.  

lityner
New User
Posted: 01/07/09 10:53 AM

The same thing happened to us yesterday with our 2005 Silverado 4x4.  

polonerw
New User
Posted: 02/08/09 03:58 PM

Yes, I have a 2005 Sierra Duramax Diesel Crewcab. My Speedometer started showing that I was going well over 100 mph and I obviously wasn't. It eventually fixed itself; however, after a trip skiing in New Mexico it started acting up again and now is pegged all the way around and hasn't moved.  I figure the freezing temperatures must have finished it off.  I took the truck to my dealership and they said that it would be covered if it was a 2003-2004 and less than 70,000 miles. My truck has 62,000 miles but of course is a 2005. The GM service man said he thought eventually it would include 2005 and possibly beyond.  My question is who do I get ahold of to put my name in this class action law-suit. I live in Texas. Thanks for the input.  

rtuck
New User
Posted: 07/16/09 09:03 PM

Icon Quotepolonerw:
Yes, I have a 2005 Sierra Duramax Diesel Crewcab. My Speedometer started showing that I was going well over 100 mph and I obviously wasn't. It eventually fixed itself; however, after a trip skiing in New Mexico it started acting up again and now is pegged all the way around and hasn't moved.  I figure the freezing temperatures must have finished it off.  I took the truck to my dealership and they said that it would be covered if it was a 2003-2004 and less than 70,000 miles. My truck has 62,000 miles but of course is a 2005. The GM service man said he thought eventually it would include 2005 and possibly beyond.  My question is who do I get ahold of to put my name in this class action law-suit. I live in Texas. Thanks for the input.

Same truck, same year. same problem. How do I take part in the law-suite or find out if GM is now including the 2005's as well?  

dianesloan
New User
Posted: 09/02/09 12:22 PM

thats the thing these days. things like this need immediate attention! loosssseinng clients due to treating our dealers like dirt now putting things off like speedometers.  keeping customers is important to gm! speedometers will be investigated to insure the most safety to our customers!workeing men do not need things like this to ruin a leisure trip to the supply store or back home.  driving trucks such as the gm/chevrolet silverado at 100 mph is not recomended anyway and should not be attempted.  safe handleing of our vehicles is best choice at any time day or night or any situation.   Laugh  Laugh  Laugh !!!  

bargainbin2
New User
Posted: 10/22/09 09:12 PM

Me too, most of the time it just slows down to around 20 mph and sometimes it goes into the negative around 10 mph. 2005 Sierra and only 50,000 on it. Confused  

Beerhaus
New User
Posted: 11/01/09 03:52 PM

Haven't had this issue on my Silverado yet, but I'm glad I found this article. I will defiantly be keeping an eye out for this issue in the future. Hopefully by the time I may need a repair, it wont be coming out of my pocket.  
Domo Arigato

fisherman803
New User
Posted: 12/17/09 01:10 PM

I only hope that G.M. get to the bottom of this quickly.  My 2005 Sierra has a speedometer that is pinned @ 120 and wont move.  This has been going on now for a few months now.  If there is any recalls in effect for this please let me know soon.  

jhe7676
New User
Posted: 12/30/09 04:39 PM

I own a 2005 duramx diesel my speedometer is all over the place dealer and gm says its not covered this is bull there are several other vehicles being covered gm better get there act together as we keep giving them our hard earned tax dollars to keep them a float. Jerry  

carlos615
New User
Posted: 01/11/10 10:00 PM

I just went to the gmc dealer and they told me that even though mine is a 2005 and only has 23k is not eligible(wrong vin) for the free replacement and that is on me. so much for gm taking care of us Frown they'll glady take $500 and take care of my problem  

carlos615
New User
Posted: 01/11/10 10:01 PM

I just went to the gmc dealer and they told me that even though mine is a 2005 and only has 23k is not eligible(wrong vin) for the free replacement and that is on me. so much for gm taking care of us Frown they'll glady take $500 and take care of my problem  

carlos615
New User
Posted: 01/11/10 10:01 PM

QuasiMoto
New User
Posted: 01/25/10 07:08 AM

Found a good resource site for this issue http://www.gmspeedometerrecall.com  

08FLSTC
New User
Posted: 02/08/10 03:06 PM

Hey, I'm not alone! I am probably one of the biggest supporters of Chevrolet and General Motors vehicles I know. I have searched for years to find a Silverado 2500HD with extended cab, long box, 4x4, gas engine, and auto transmission. They're out there to be sure; I see them all the time. It's just very difficult to find one for sale. Short box- all day long, not so with long box.
 To the point. I bought a 2006 1500 4x4 with standard cab and long box in the fall of 2006. Good truck, just wasn't really what I needed. Kept looking and finally found a 2003 that fit my needs in February 2008.I traded in the 06 for the 03 in March 08. Shortly after getting home with it (traveled 350 miles to trade) the speedo problem arose just like all of you. First time it acted up was in the rain. I am a mechanic, so of course the first thing I suspected was moisture in a connection or in the sensor on the transmission. Not so. It suddenly just dropped to 0. It only did this once in a while at first, but is increasing in recurrance over time. Just like some of you, sometimes it works fine then suddenly gets stuck at some random speed. Sometimes it just slowly drops to near Zero and stays there. Sometimes it gets stuck at a random speed and then when I stop at a light it stays there- until I start to move: then it starts wherever it got stuck and reads from there up. Never knew 140 in a pick-up would seem so slow!!! Sometimes I can get it to return to zero if I start and shut off the engine repeatedly. It will sometimes drop 2 or 3 miles eack time it starts when I do this, eventually ending up at zero. Good thing I am accustomed to knowing speed pretty close by engine speed (tachometer) and gear. Hopefully that won't be next!!! Just as some of you, I wonder if the odometer is even accurate either.
 The latest thing is that the gear select indicator is slowly fading to invisible. Sometimes it's half as bright as the "Driver info center" as they call the area that includes the odometer. Other times it can be almost completely dark. What's next?!
 Anyway, it was not long, maybe a couple of weeks after I started having this trouble that I heard about it on the radio (surprisingly it didn't quit in the middle of this news). This truck was only 5 years old! Well, conveniently, the milage is supposed to be under 80k to fit the remedy. This truck had just 81k when I got it. I have only put on 8k since then, almost 2 years ago now. That is, if the odometer is reading accurately! Who knows, it's probably not accurate either given the circumstances. How can they possibly say it isn't affected when the speed says I'm going 140 like some of you! Tell you what, these must be the "Craftsman Truck Series" racing trucks if so many are going so fast while seemingly standing still.
 Well, we bought an 03 Tahoe in May 08. It had only about 36k miles. Now it has started having trouble as well. This is pretty sad that these low milage vehicles have this very common problem. Okay, I'm only one small fish, but like all of the rest of you, I don't think this should be a problem I should have to pay for. Our vehicles are not abused, modified, or mis-treated. We (my wife and I) keep our vehicles very clean and well maintained. We paid a lot of hard earned money and maintain strong loyalty to this company for these vehicles. Why aren't we important enough to GM for some help? Is this how we are to be rewarded for spending our money with them? With only a couple of exceptions I have owned, and been a die-hard fan of only GM vehicles for as long as I have been able to recognize what a car is. If things aren't corrected, this loyalty may be changing.
 I would like to know what I can do to get in on this class-action suit if I can't get this fixed without cost to me. They know this is a very common problem, and we are not the cause. Whatever can be done, count me in! Let my voice be lifted up with the rest of the country, and maybe the world. If a company finds a serious problem with what they produce, especially if it has pontentially costly and dangerous affects for the public, they should be responsible both morally and financially for the expense of remedy of the issue. Blush   Confused   Mad  

12 Last

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine