FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

First time driving Diesel.

cabmak4life78
New User
Posted: 02/11/12 05:06 PM

Fellas I just got an 05 F250 (6.0L 4x4 long wheel base) a couple months back and hand calculated, I am getting bout 12 mpg unloaded. Any tips and or parts uprgrades for mpg improvement and or what could be wrong with my truck, 12mpg seems just a bit sad to me.  

Jacknif3_jo3
User
Posted: 02/11/12 07:33 PM

So many things could be contributing to poor fuel economy on a 6.0. I'll make a list of things to check.

-Air filter
-fuel filters
-Check to see if your 4x4 hubs are unlocked. They use vaccum to unlock and this can malfunction
- Lift kit (i dont know if you have one)
-Oversized mud tires
-wheel alignment (weird wear on tires)
-Turbo sticky
-injectors (stiction)
-check ficm voltage
-plugged up cat conv

Otherwise how does it run? Does it smoke? Does she bump and jerk when you start her in the a.m. Degas Bottle full of coolant? Any mods?

If your hard on the throttle around the city, that could be right. Gotta just roll off the stop lights, Easy on the throttle and it will make a difference.  

cabmak4life78
New User
Posted: 02/11/12 09:15 PM

If I don't let her fully warm up to operating temperature in the morning it does tend have a rough transition through the gears. No lift yet however i did add mud tires which I noticed cut my fuel economy by about a mile or two, and i got my alignment a couple months ago with the new tires. As for the hubs should i leave them locked them or unlocked? Thanks for the help I will get started on that list in the morning.  

cabmak4life78
New User
Posted: 02/11/12 09:15 PM

If I don't let her fully warm up to operating temperature in the morning it does tend have a rough transition through the gears. No lift yet however i did add mud tires which I noticed cut my fuel economy by about a mile or two, and i got my alignment a couple months ago with the new tires. As for the hubs should i leave them locked them or unlocked? Thanks for the help I will get started on that list in the morning.  

Read more: http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/70/9090333/economy-stories-tips/first-time-driving-diesel/index.html#ixzz1m8qQkYwq  

Jacknif3_jo3
User
Posted: 02/12/12 11:22 AM

Make sure the hubs are unlocked just spin the front drive axles by hand. everything should spin freely. I had one side locking up on me and my axle seal started leaking. Tires make a big difference. I would Change the fluid and both filters on your trans. Oh I forgot the sliders on the brake calipers sometimes stick too. Hey while your working on it you should pop out the egr valve and give it a good cleaning with carb cleaner.  

Rose of the Road
New User
Posted: 05/19/14 10:08 AM

It could be the quality of the fuel you are using too.   Not all gasoline and diesel fuels are equal.  Heck, not every batch from the same refiner is exactly the same either.   It has to do with the process they use to make it, the crude oil sourced, and how much bio they add.  (Most refiners are adding 2-5% bio with ALL their diesel fuels so they can rightly claim they are meeting government mandates... and they don't have to tell us.)  Shocked

Try a quality additive, like TDRS-FL (by Amalgamated, Inc.)   I know the folks who make it know their stuff.  Its not an off the shelf product, so you'll have to do an Internet search for it. (I'm pretty sure we're not allow to post links for stuff like this.)   Its not cheap, but it WORKS and pays for itself easily 3 times over just on MPG improvement alone. Laugh  

TruckZoom
New User
Posted: 05/07/15 09:43 PM

It's my first time driving diesel too. Im new to this forum and im happy to stumble upon this helpful thread. Thanks guys!  

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL