FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

can you put a cat engine into a old chevy???

bama20th
New User
Posted: 07/25/11 05:16 PM

Ok, so iv been seeing people put diesel engines into trucks like the old scottsdale chevy trucks, such as the cummins, and lift the truck up to get the clearance for the oil pan. Well me being a good ole country boy or redneck however you want to say it, thought i could put a caterpillar engine into a old chevy like that guy did, like a Chevy K30 and then put caterpillar decals on it, and call it a chevy cat... any tips or ideas??? anything to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!  

Powerstroke_Cowboy
User
Posted: 07/25/11 05:50 PM

You might fit a 3126 Cat in there.  there was a guy that put one in a 99 ford F-350.  He said it could really pull!!!  The 3126 Would be a 7.2L I6 engine..

Or you could do a 3304 Cat Diesel  They are around 145 HP stock.  You could always tun it up a little if you need more.  It Would be a lot easier to fit in.

Or the 3116 Cat it is a 6.6L I6 engine  So it is a little smaller then a 3126. So it might go in a little easier.

I think there is one more 4 cylinder Cat Diesel that I Missed that would work good..

I would love to do this to a Old High boy Ford Pickup.  I think I would go the 4 cylinder wrought. The reason I would do the swap is to get rid of the gas, and put a diesel in place of it, BUT I would like to try and get 30 to 40 mpg out of it. hence the reason for the four cylinder.

David  
97 Ford 7.3L F-350 (Under the knife)  On a side note... It is now running, Just a couple more odds and ends and it will be back on the road...
97 Case MX100 5.9 Cummins
81 Allis chalmer 7010 649T Allis chalmer diesel (Under the Knife)
75 Petrbuilt truck 350 Big Cam Cummins
06 Outlander 800 wish it had a TURBO
94 Ski-doo 670 long track.
07 Quarter Horse Gelding

bama20th
New User
Posted: 07/26/11 02:25 PM

Thats awesome, thank you very much David for the help. My constant plans have been to get ahold of a old chevy K30 and put a diesel motor in it of some sort, originally thought of getting a new duramax engine, but it sounds so much better to fit in a cat motor like i described. Haha because i constantly like to have something that people i know here were im from dont have, and that definitely fits into that category! But my next question is, could i beef the motor up even more with up grades to improve response and mpg, i read that a man who owned a 4door chevy 2500 that got 45mpg highway PULLING a trailer, and i also want that kind of mileage! haha because my K30 will be a 4door 4x4 and will definitely be heavy duty when i get it finished!  

Powerstroke_Cowboy
User
Posted: 07/26/11 04:33 PM

There are things you can do to them to get more Power and better MPG.  BUT you will never get 45 MPG towing!!!  The man that wrote that must of been smoking something that makes you crazy!!

But yes you can do things to get better fuel mileage a throttle response.  I don't have a good answer for you until I know what for engine you would go with..

I still say I would go with the 4 cylinder just for the fuel economy AND you can turn them up, put a better turbo that would spool up good and flow more air.  Or just compound it (good spool up and lots of air at the same time) Smile There is lots of thing you could do.

David  
97 Ford 7.3L F-350 (Under the knife)  On a side note... It is now running, Just a couple more odds and ends and it will be back on the road...
07 Quarter Horse Gelding

Powerstroke_Cowboy
User
Posted: 07/26/11 04:50 PM

Another thing I would do is stay away from the electronic versions and stay with the older Mechanical version ones.  Easier to transplant and easier to turn up..

David  
07 Quarter Horse Gelding

greenthunder7.3
User
Posted: 07/26/11 08:23 PM

you'd have to figure out what injection system u want. 3126's are heui. must 3116 are mechanical but there is a heui serial number of the 3116 there just not as common. a caterpillar dealer should have a rerate book where if u give them the serial number of whatever engine u choose they can take that and see what changes need to be made to get whatever hp and torque u want. depending on how hi u want to go you could reflash the ecm. the part numbers should be in the rerate book if you want to make a power number that requires metal changes. it would be cool to find an old kodiak or somethin that way u would have a trans 2. sounds like an awesome idea.  
-------------------

99 f-350 superduty gtp38r turbo, dieselsite heui pump, southbend dual disc, regulated return, fass, autometer z series guages, 4 in downpipe to 8 in stack, afe intake.

bama20th
New User
Posted: 10/01/11 03:41 PM

thanks for all the tips, and ok so i cant get 45mpg out of the truck i can dream tho cant i? haha but your right smokeing some good stuff to think that your getting 45mpg, but when i do get the truck and start playing around with it ill do what needs to be done to get the horse power i want and still have good mpg, and i have thought of the electrical problem i would face if i bought a diesel motor that had lots of electronics, i will be sticking to mechanical motors. now my question is would a 4bang diesel have power to efficiently move a k30? im sure it would but wanted to ask  

bama20th
New User
Posted: 10/01/11 03:42 PM

thanks for all the tips, and ok so i cant get 45mpg out of the truck i can dream tho cant i? haha but your right smokeing some good stuff to think that your getting 45mpg, but when i do get the truck and start playing around with it ill do what needs to be done to get the horse power i want and still have good mpg, and i have thought of the electrical problem i would face if i bought a diesel motor that had lots of electronics, i will be sticking to mechanical motors. now my question is would a 4bang diesel have power to efficiently move a k30? im sure it would but wanted to ask  

kwarwick
New User
Posted: 04/20/14 02:41 PM

Hey there.Three years ago I put a 3116 cat and a 545 allison into a 1991 v3500 wich is a one ton dually crew 4x4 (1973-1987) chev truck.Last fall I replaced the trans with a rt6610 10 speed.It all works pretty good-except no drive to front axle,big improvement from what was there.Let me know if you need more info-Keith.  

andrewhpaul225
New User
Posted: 05/18/14 04:17 PM

Hey Keith, I'd like to see that swap have any pictures?  

andrewhpaul225
New User
Posted: 05/18/14 04:17 PM

Hey Keith, I'd like to see that swap have any pictures?  

tiabarber123
New User
Posted: 04/15/15 09:52 PM

Ok, so iv been seeing people put diesel engines into trucks like the old scottsdale chevy trucks esixsigma , such as the cummins, and lift the truck up to get ...  

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL