FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Turning my stock cummins into a beast

Cumma
New User
Posted: 06/08/11 08:23 PM

Hi my names Alex , Im 16 and im in the process of buying my dad 2001 dodge cummins 2500 (24 valve 5.9L). And I would like to put nitto mud grapplers on it size 37 a lift kit and a programmer and I would really like to know what to do watch out for and what to buy, Im pretty new at this and ill have around $4000 to dump into this truck and I would like to get good deal and not waste money on useless stuff so if you could please help me out as in telling me the best programmer and Im looking for a lift kit that will allow Size 37's so probably a 4.5" lift. and I really want to know how to blow smoke like enough to make it so they notice it. Thanks!  

MarineOne
Addict
Posted: 06/09/11 02:20 AM

Not trying to crush your dreams, but why do you want larger tires?

You need to really look hard at putting bigger tires on these trucks because it adds way more stress to the entire front end assembly of the truck, which in turn requires you to do more maintenance.  Oversized tires and wheels will run you half of that $4000 budget you've got, and the lift will eat up the rest.

What I recommend you look at is some slightly oversized tires for the stock wheels, like a 285-70 or 285-75 (Nitto, BFG, Toyo, etc.) because tires will eat up 1/4 of your budget.  You also won't need to mess with your gear ratio either, as the 37 inch tires will take away your pulling and take off power from a dead stop.

A Smarty should run you around $600, gauges around $350, and tires should be around $1100; that's half your budget.  The rest can be put into the exhaust, a lift pump, a better air filter/intake setup, and if you have enough left over some upgrades to the VP-44.

And that's how we spend $4000.

-Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

Cumma
New User
Posted: 09/21/11 07:46 PM

Hey man thanks for responding I bought the truck from my dad and and it was all stock had brand new 265 michelens and Nothings wrong with it but it has minor rust on the doors, now here's what I've done first edge with attitude with the cts screen did it so I can monitor everything without buying guages then I got a banks monster ram intake manifold, s&b cold air intake, Airdog 100 fuel system and then I finally bought tires and rims for it got 35 nitto mud Grapplers with dick cepeks got a good deal $1500 brand new now I plan on getting a exhaust and not sure what else to do? It blows some smoke but not steady was thinking of stacking it with smarty not sure

Sorry for the longg post but just thought I would update you with my investment witch now I have $9500 into including truck... Don't have much left haha  

Cumma
New User
Posted: 09/21/11 07:48 PM

Hey man thanks for responding I bought the truck from my dad and and it was all stock had brand new 265 michelens and Nothings wrong with it but it has minor rust on the doors, now here's what I've done first edge with attitude with the cts screen did it so I can monitor everything without buying guages then I got a banks monster ram intake manifold, s&b cold air intake, Airdog 100 fuel system and then I finally bought tires and rims for it got 35 nitto mud Grapplers with dick cepeks got a good deal $1500 brand new now I plan on getting a exhaust and not sure what else to do? It blows some smoke but not steady was thinking of stacking it with smarty not sure

Sorry for the longg post but just thought I would update you with my investment witch now I have $9500 into including truck... Don't have much left haha  

MarineOne
Addict
Posted: 09/22/11 12:51 AM

Don't stack the Edge and the Smarty.  You should be able to use the CTS just as a monitor only, which would be just for your "gauges", but you'll end up cooking your engine if you stack.

I would stick with the Smarty for the power and use the CTS for it's monitoring functions only.

Or you'll learn how to spend 10 to 15 thousand on rebuilding an engine.

-Kris  

Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

Cumma
New User
Posted: 09/22/11 04:27 AM

So when i stack the smarty i would run the edge on level 0 and run the smarty on a high level?(example, i run the edge on level zero and run the smarty on level 9)
Also im not so how would i blow the engine as in not trying to be smart but like what else should i do for upgrades so i don't blow it.

Also i dumped the idea of a lift kit just gonna go with a cheap leveling kit like $60

Thanks again  

RichiesDiesel
User
Posted: 09/22/11 11:22 AM

Kris won't steer you wrong he's a dodge guy and he knows what he's talking about. Stacking is never a good idea.  

01 24 valve
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/22/11 02:47 PM

for an exhaust a 4 inch turbo back should be good enough to keep EGT's down ur best to just strait pipe it and if u really wana here your turbo scream take the silencer ring off the turbo and get a AFE cold air intake.  
2001 dodge ram 2500 ext cab short box 5 speed 4 inch down pipe into 5 inch strait pipe exhaust into 6 inch chrome dual aussie stacks, 90hp injectors with 200hp tips, quadzilla adrenaline tuner with monitor , ,  bd lift pump, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, ARP head studs, ATS three piece exhaust manifold with t4 flange,Garrett ta45 turbo southbend dual disc 750hp clutch with 1 3/8" input shaft

MarineOne
Addict
Posted: 09/22/11 02:49 PM

You should be able to do that with the Edge set to "0" and then set the Smarty to no higher than SW3, but call Edge to make sure.  I would rather you just keep the Edge off altogether ... ask the Edge folks how to use the CTS as a gauge cluster only, you should have that option.

With the Smarty, IIRC even numbered settings screw with the timing so unless you're overfueling they'll hurt you more than help.  Do NOT go higher than SW3 until you see what it will do for you because if you go higher you risk blowing the engine up.

Icon QuoteRichiesDiesel:
Kris won't steer you wrong he's a dodge guy and he knows what he's talking about. Stacking is never a good idea.

Thanks bro.

-Kris  

Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

Cumma
New User
Posted: 09/23/11 04:31 AM

ok thanks is theyrre anything i should upgrade on my vp44 and some one told me i can adjust my stock injectors? im not sure if thats true or no  

belasmith
New User
Posted: 04/21/13 01:24 PM

I think larger tires will make a problem for you. Things have their own demand to survive.  

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL