FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

oil pressure problem!!!

bzed
New User
Posted: 03/14/10 01:09 AM

Hi there, i purchased a 2001 ram 2500 quadcab with a 5.9 cummins in it and the guy i bought it from said that the injector pump was gone in it. I did some tests on the truck and found out that it was only the lift pump that needed to be replaced. I did this and got the truck running and the check gages light was on because the oil press. gage wasn't reading anything. I did testing for the oil pressure solenoid from the steps on mitchell on demand and the tests that were stated told me that the sensor was gone. So i replaced the sensor and the same problem is still there. I am new to this diesel stuff, and would like to hear back from you guys for any suggestions; thanks brian  

assassin3
New User
Posted: 05/04/10 05:56 PM

Remove the oil filter and crank the engine, make sure a bowl is under the vehicle to catch any oil, remove the wire from the stop solonoid to prevent it starting, and crank the engine. If oil comes out of the filter housing it is pumping oil.

Check the oil pressure regulator, often with an engine which has stood it may be sticky and stuck open slightly, thus giving little or no oil pressure, one sure way to check is to remove the oil pressure sensor anf temporarily fit a manual oil pressure gauge.

If you have no oil flowing it is time to check the oil pump and pick up pipe in the sump, if the pick up pipe is detached, damaged, or the strainer is blocked it will not pick up oil. Check the oil pump for wear or corrosion, if this is damaged then replace it, while access to the oil pick up pipe is easy blow compressed air up the pipe at about 50 P.S.I. to ensure the oil galleries are clear.  

ladlasheikh
New User
Posted: 04/02/15 12:36 AM

oil flowing it is time to check the oil pump and pick up pipe in the sump..AGREE

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL