FORUMS

123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Power Parts for the IDI diesels?

Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator
Posted: 12/11/07 01:02 PM

I've gotten a lot of E-mails and questions about power parts for the pre-Powerstroke Ford diesels. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for where to find power parts for the pre-Powerstroke 7.3s?  

BCRAM
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/11/07 03:32 PM

When Ford decided to jump into the turbo diesel market they hired ATS to work with Navistar to come up with a turbo version of their 7.3 idi. ATS/Navistar presented Ford with a TD that put out some nice numbers for it's day but unfortunately Ford did not want it to outperform it's bread and butter 460 gas pot. ATS pointed out that the non-turbo 7.3 had as much power as the 460 so in order to make a turbo version they would have to make the turbo charger a non functional decoration. Ford thought that was a great idea a told them to proceed. So ATS took all their hard work and welded big bumps in the turbo housing so it would not spool up and just fall on it's face. They also necked down the elbow, turned down the pump to less cc's than the non-turbo and crimped the exhaust almost closed. In the end the new Turbo Diesel idi had 3% more power than it's non-turbo brother. Ford was happy and it's customers and ATS were not. The good news is that you can buy the original parts( new turbo housing, elbow and exhaust) and bolt them on to your Factory turbo idi or you can buy the entire kit for your non-turbo idi and add about 100HP. This kit is reasonably cheap I think it's less than $1000 if you already have the turbo diesel. I don't know what the complete kit is worth for the non-turbo guys. Add an intercooler and propane and you've got yourself 300HP to the ground but that's about the limit on a idi. I don't know of anyone who has run nitrous on a idi but that 's not to say you can't. Banks and Hypermax both make nice kits but don't get the Banks unless you get the one that replaces the turbo( for factory turbo guys) like I said the turbo housing is a mess. Adding a turbo is about the only thing that's going to make a big difference to your idi Ford.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

backwoodsboy916
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/11/07 08:38 PM

mn, all that info is a ton of help. Im think that ive got my brother talked into the ATS turbo, elbow, and exhaust like you said, but what about air intakes, are there many choices out there?  
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 4 Door 4Wd Longbed 6SPD manual, Silverline 4 inch exhaust,ATS Performance Exhaust Manifold, K&N Intake,CFM Intake Manifold, Edge Juice w/Attitude, Recon Smoked Roof and Fender Lights, 285/70/17 Firestone M/Ts,  MUCH MUCH MORE to come, one day...when im not so BROKE.....

Member: Blowin Smoke Gang

BCRAM
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/12/07 01:15 AM

I put a KN filter on my idi, the ATS tech I talked to said they put some research into that factory intake. The problem lies in getting the air into the intake, it's drawn through that 3/16 gap between the hood and grill. If you have a bug deflector on your truck you'll notice that it has completly blocked off your air intake therefore starving the motor of air. You will have to cut out that bit of plastic on the deflector to open up the intake. Open the hood and you will notice that there is a thick rubber gasket that runs across the grill you need to cut that out around the plastic intake as well, there's a metal strip in there so use metal snips. Don't cut holes in the plastic section of the intake thinking it will draw more air, this just draws warm/hot air from the engine compartment and that's something you don't want to do. Your brother will love the way his truck will perform with that ATS upgrade, it really works. Don't forget to adjust the timing and turn up the pump after the mods and straight pipe it because I have yet to hear a diesel that sounds better straight piped.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

Cowboy_Troy
New User
Posted: 12/12/07 02:49 PM

http://store.bankspower.com/Categories2.aspx?Category=f8e14380-e121-448f-a51b-14976881b683

http://store.bankspower.com/Categories2.aspx?Category=1a83da40-5189-4980-817f-03e67adf0a61

http://store.bankspower.com/Categories2.aspx?Category=e3fd884e-80fb-40d9-9b99-23fed85aa9fb

http://store.bankspower.com/Categories2.aspx?Category=e3fd884e-80fb-40d9-9b99-23fed85aa9fb  

bluetech151
Guru
Posted: 12/12/07 09:29 PM

alot of this should be stickied

any one second this  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

BCRAM
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/14/07 01:31 AM

I'll second that. It seems these idi questions get asked all the time. Maybe a FAQ section  

davemintz
New User
Posted: 12/15/07 05:31 PM

No matter what u do to the engine the trans must be able to handle it! So instead of engine upgrades, (beside the normal chip,air intake,est.)look at the trans, and go from there!  

FordGuy100
New User
Posted: 12/23/07 12:52 AM

Well the word on the street says that banks will discontinue there parts for the IDI as of the end of December/early January. That means there would be two turbo companies you can get aftermarket turbos from, ATS, and hypermax. ATS is a wastegated turbo, while the hypermax is nonwastegated so both have the pros and cons. As far as intakes you can get a cowl air induction from hypermax. Other than that there are not that many companies that sell performance parts for our IDI's. www.dps-performance.com sells stage 1 injectors and high performance pumps, but thats practically it when it comes down to the fuel system.

Practically all the trannies behind the 6.9/7.3 IDI were good, the C6, T-19 4 speed, and ZF-5 speed. The only tranny that left alot to be desiered was the E4OD. Basically if you want it to last you should build it to 4R100 specs.

And thats practically all you can do to an IDI with off the shelf stuff. You can get more power out of them, but it would require lower compression pistons/rods, head work, custom turbo setup, lots of fuel, drugs, the list goes on.  

cowboy25414
New User
Posted: 01/08/08 08:31 PM

The ATS AURORA 2000 Turbo kit runs $2100. That is my plan for my IDI this year. I just bought my 91 a few months ago and for Christmas, my wife bought me new rims from Discount Tire, 16". The weight difference from the new alloy rims to the steel rims is unreal. Plus, I cut the stock muffler off that was chokin the hell out of the motor. I started running #1 diesel too boot. These couple of mods added 110 miles per fill up, both tanks. I was getting almost 400 miles, now I'm at 510 miles. That's a heck of a lot easier on the wallet too. Being that the IDI is a mechanical motor, it is limited as to what you can do to it. But my truck will pull anything that I need to, including a International 4900 with a couple of full totes and drag wheels. Lady driver ran out of fuel and was blocking traffic. So I moved her out of the way. INTERNATIONAL POWER!!! Keep studying and you will find everything you need and a few extras. Good luck  

dallyleec
New User
Posted: 01/15/08 06:22 AM

most f350s with a 5 speed have a dual disk clutch from the factory  

BCRAM
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/15/08 04:58 PM

Be careful with that cowl induction from Hypermax. It cannot be used in rainy areas. Yes the '94s have the dual disk clutch, very expensive to replace. You have to replace the flywheel. Most guys swap to a single, you still have to buy a new flywheel but at least next time you just have to replace the clutch. You end up with a lighter clutch pedal as well.  

sootman73
New User
Posted: 02/14/08 09:55 PM

hey fordguy100 nice to see you found these forums as well!

i would personally like to try out the parts from hypermax engineering. they seem to be much more dedicated to the ford diesels than anyone else out there. at least when it comes down to the idi diesels. their pulse turbo system i think would be much better than my stock setup. some people say that it isn't worth the money to switch. it would be worth it if i didn't have a turbo to start out with though.  
94' F250 7.3L turbo diesel extended cab 4wd IP maxxed out, Autometer Phanton II pyro and boost on a-pillar, straight piped, E40D auto and 3:55 gearing.
SOON: stage 1 injectors, high performance transmission, and 5in flapper stacks!
SOMEDAY: 4in lift with 37's and maybe twins
once hauled two gravity wagons with beans. Rig weighed in at 30,280#! and the only thing slowin me down was the bad wagon wheels!(and snow) it chugged with pride right up the snow covered ramp where a suburban with one wagon needed a tr

stillburningas
New User
Posted: 03/06/08 10:36 AM

the clutch isnt a dual disk, and the setup is called dual mass flywheel what it is is a two piece fly wheel, it bolts to the crankshaft and the surface plate that the clutch makes contact with is spring loaded so in a sense the fly wheel flexes to absorb some load, the surface plate will slow down and the springs are compressed and then when the clutch is completly disengaged the springs "unload themselves" you could say, really a piece of *** setup, its just another thing to break, but it can be done away with do to after market goodies like a south bend clutch Grin  

Breech
New User
Posted: 04/07/08 12:39 PM

Just to add to the list you can also think about gear swaps and/or over/underdrive units.  The IDI's are limited in power production due to the high compression ratio and weak head bolts.......not to mention there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support for them.  Most of the mods available are DIY types.  You have to look to maximize the power that you can make through the drivetrain.  
1987 F-250 XLT Lariat SuperCab 2wd, 6.9 IDI, C6 w/US Gear Dual Range, 10.25 w/4.10's

123 Last

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine