FORUMS

12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Turbo lag fix?

one12oh6
New User
Posted: 06/25/07 01:07 AM

I have recently purchased my first diesel, a 2001 cummins and have installed a power programmer stage 3.  I have since been looking for a quick and inexpensive fix for turbo lag.  Here is a product that I found and was wondering if this could or would be an option for me or anyone for that matter.  Thx for your time...

http://www.electricchargers.com

Matt  

tony597fitter
New User
Posted: 07/05/07 01:14 PM

There is no such fix. That is the downfall to a turbo. You need RPMs to get the turbo to build boost.  

bluetech151
Guru
Posted: 07/08/07 03:28 PM

if it is an auto tranny bullydog J-hook  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

heathrock
New User
Posted: 09/04/07 03:00 PM

i am in the same boat i just put on a 120hp chip and there is alot of turbo lag. i switched to a hx35 hybrid, that helped some but there is still lag. i am thinking about a small 30 or 50 shot of nitrous oxide to add air, lower egt and intake temp and reduce turbo lag. it is cheaper than a new turbo and you can turn it on or off with the filp of a switch. and last make sure your exhaust can flow freely a 4 inch turbo back exhaust will also help, but they say bigger is better. best of luck to you. keep that CTD rollin.  

DieselDood
User
Posted: 09/24/07 07:46 PM

Have you guys thought you may be lowering your drive pressures because of to much fuel to quickly?

Piers and I had a nice long discussion about this a few years ago at the last Thunder in Muncie event.  If you haven't heard of Piers or TiM, it's a long story.

Regardless....Try not just flat footing it, try easing into the throttle.  Try counting; one thousand-one-one thousand, before your foot hits wide open.  You may be amaized at how much more quickly you build boost.  
www.tripledperformance.com
Your Diesel Performance Experts.  Home of the DHRA Quick Diesel Champion and 17th place Hot Rod Magazine Drag week truck! 12.04 @112mph

powersmoke4x4
New User
Posted: 09/24/07 08:03 PM

hey fellas i got an 04 powerstroke n i just put edge juice w/ attitude on it and was wondering if anyone else knows the perfect setup on the programmer so i can get the most smoke and power i can get so if anyone has theres set up a certain way to get these improvements let me kno...preciate it  
2004  4x4 powerstroke, sct custom tuned by dj's diesel performance, arp head studs, egr block off kit, afe intake, cfm intake elbow, 5 inch single stack w/ no cat or muffler, 285 mastercraft mt's, and loads of smoke.

bluetech151
Guru
Posted: 09/24/07 08:35 PM

powersmoke4x4

hey fellas i got an 04 powerstroke n i just put edge juice w/ attitude on it and was wondering if anyone else knows the perfect setup on the programmer so i can get the most smoke and power i can get so if anyone has theres set up a certain way to get these improvements let me kno...preciate it  

Hey this post will get the most views if you make it a topic just click home then All new diesel foroms then new topic people will eat it up  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

Karl L
User
Posted: 10/07/07 08:59 PM

Turbo lag is part of the game. Two foot your rig to get some boost up, then nail it like a prom queen! With the exception of level 4 and 5, two footing it is the only way to get it spooled up without too much lag.  
2003 6.0 PSD, Edge Juice Platinum, Airaid/big ol'hole ram air, 4" turbo-back, TureTrac, 5" lift, 35X14.5 Toyos,& bright RED!!

Turbotim1
New User
Posted: 10/10/07 11:33 AM

Two footing the turbo does help spool. But, keep an eye on your Tranz temp. It can sky rocket in a of seconds when you power break it. The best way to "limit" your spool. it to change turbine efficiency. On the Hx35's you are limited to about 3 or 4 turbine Hsg wile keeping the HX35 turbine wheel. The 12cm,14cm,16cm,18.5cm. The smaller the faster they spool.

The 12cm will have the fastest spool and the highest boost level. But, it can make your EGT's go up too, with drive pressure. On a street truck its no to bad, with a good wastegate to bleed off the drive pressure.

I wouldn't recommend a 12cm with a hybrid though(hx35/40). You will probably run into compressor surge with the hx40 comp wheel. You may snap the quill shaft doing that.  You need to step up to the 14cm or even a 16cm. I have found when I clip the turbine wheels there is still better response then running a larger turbine Hsg.  It seems to be more effective in droping EGT's.

The full Hx40 is usually a dog with the limited turbine Hsg's availability. To solve all your problems just slap about 150hp injector with an S300G and a 4in exhaust.  It's a perfect street setup.  Hope that help guys.  

Stygimoloch
User
Posted: 11/03/10 12:19 AM

A VGT turbo will cure all trace of turbo lag.  

1980 240D 3.0T
OM617.95, 4-speed

pow4521
New User
Posted: 11/18/10 08:15 PM

Hey a good cost effective way to reduce turbo lag and increase spool up time is to get a turbo wrap/cover. You can find them on ebay for under $50 this will help response time and improve heat transfer  

pow4521
New User
Posted: 11/18/10 08:15 PM

Hey a good cost effective way to reduce turbo lag and increase spool up time is to get a turbo wrap/cover. You can find them on ebay for under $50 this will help response time and improve heat transfer  

Stygimoloch
User
Posted: 12/19/10 10:26 AM

A turbo wrap has zero effect on turbo lag. When the turbo is spooling there is low energy in the exhaust, its basically little more than a paddle wheel.

Wraps are only to reduce engine bay temperatures (radiant heat). They have no effect on engine operation.  

1980 240D 3.0T
OM617.95, 4-speed

auto_repair
New User
Posted: 09/11/14 02:10 PM

Hey Matt,

You can fix it or minimize it in different way. First one can be to install lighter turbo parts. A lighter fan will spin up faster, making the extra horsepower available more quickly. You can replace any of the turbo's rotating parts with lighter ones to decrease turbo lag. Ceramic parts are usually a good choice.

Second one cab be Install a smaller turbo. Smaller turbos have lighter parts to begin with, so they don't take as long to spin up. A smaller turbo won't provide as much of a horsepower boost as a large one, but the power will be available quicker. You can also fix it by install sequential turbochargers & intercooler.

Also can be done by replace the turbo's turbine shaft bearings. Most turbos have fluid bearings, which support the turbine shaft with a layer of lubricant sealed between it and its housing. Replacing them wihe turbine shaft, reducing turbo lag. For more details please feel free to visit us at idaho falls diesel repair shop  

KZN
User
Posted: 11/01/14 01:22 AM

"Ceramic parts are usually a good choice."
False. Ceramic turbos cannot handle the stress of diesel engines. Ask anyone with a Series 50 or 60 Detroit.

"You can also fix it by install sequential turbochargers"
Sequential turbos cannot be installed aftermerket. Sequential turbos require computer control to operate the changeover. Such complication is beyond any DIY modifier.  

12 Last

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine