FORUMS

123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

mercedes diesel power?

06cumminspower
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/10/07 07:39 PM

guys, i don't know anything about mercedes diesels or been around them but can you tune them to make more power if so how much can you get out of one?  

peteg51
New User
Posted: 06/12/07 07:46 PM

i noticed there was a old diesel mercedes in the diesel power challenge book, is there anyway to vote that thing into the event? im a vw/audi guy myself, but i could not resist the merc taking on the big trucks in the drag portion  

DZL_Damon
New User
Posted: 06/17/07 05:38 PM

Yes, there is power to be found in the old mercedes diesels, and new.  The old legendary bulletproff om617 turbodiesels found in the 1980-1985 300D,TD,CD, and SDs were 125hp to start off with.  Guys in europe have been able to get a reported 400hp by super/turbocharging these engines along with intercooling and pump modification.  The european pumps are easier to upgrade because they make elements (plunger/barrels) taht are larger than the stock 5.5mm ones.  They are harder to get for the american pumps, but 200hp is still obtainable with an american spec 3.0L OM617.  One of the best engines to tune is the OM606 turbo found in the 98-99 E300s.  They make 174hp and 247ft-lb stock.  They are easily upgraded to 300hp or more.  

A forum dedicated to tuning MB diesels is at www.schumanautomotive.com/forums  under the "Super Turbo" section.  It's very intersting.  

06cumminspower
Enthusiast
Posted: 06/18/07 07:22 PM

i would love too see some like that in person, what they would sound like and what they could do at the track.  

VWdiesel
User
Posted: 12/11/07 10:18 AM

i have an 85 190D any one know sum fairly cheap mods for it or for an early 80's vw diesel, neither have turbos  
'81 VW caddy diesel 3.5 inch exhaust,, smokes reel good and sounds like a big truck now. and still gits 46 mpg!

'93 F250 cold air intake , straight pipe w/ 5" stack

iman901
New User
Posted: 03/25/08 10:25 PM

I dont know anything about mercedes diesels but am looking to buy one. Im wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best year to look for, all that really matters is if it has a turbo, i would prefer a stick shift but have only found automatics.  
Drugs Are Really Expensive

'82 Ford F150 - working on 4BT cummins swap

Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator
Posted: 03/27/08 02:50 PM

Icon Quoteiman901:
I dont know anything about mercedes diesels but am looking to buy one. Im wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best year to look for, all that really matters is if it has a turbo, i would prefer a stick shift but have only found automatics.

Some of the early 80s 240Ds were stick-shifts. But they weren't turbocharged. I don't know if Mercedes ever sold turbodiesel stick-shifts in the U.S.  

prestigegunleather
User
Posted: 08/14/09 07:36 AM

to all,

M-B never sold a single turbo-diesel with manual transmission in the USA. there are any number of 4-speed,  NON-turbo, 240D sedans (and a VERY few station wagons) that were sold here though.
also there are a FEW NON-turbo 300D sedans/Safaris in the country, that were "individually imported".
(mostly by GIs coming home from overseas assignments)

240D's are so slow that "i don't have time to drive one before i die of old age."
(my brother bought a '82 240D, w/manual trans, new & even he says that "it's Zero to Sixty in 3 days".- the auto trans 240D is slower than that, by a factor of two. otoh, he has well over 600K miles on it, with NO major problems. "Ole Blue" will probably outlast Richard.)

now, some advice/opinions from one "MB diesel NUT": buy a rust-FREE 1985 300SD (my personal choice), 300TD (the station wagon) or 300D (4D sedan) & drive it the rest of your life, with just relatively simple owner maintaince.
the ONLY "common problem" that all these cars have is RUST in the "salt areas" of the country.
(i watch our MBs for corrosion like a hawk & treat any rust, before it gets beyond "paint level".)

the MB diesels of that ONE year are nearly BULLETPROOF.- the 1984's are NEARLY as tough. earlier & later MB turbo-diesels are either LESS tough AND/OR a LOT more complicated/expensive to maintain.-nonetheless, i find ANY of the MB diesels to be "head & shoulders" over any other diesel car.
(i'm NOT a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but i keep the family's 1982-85 240D/300D's going just fine, thanks, with a minimum of tools/filters/lubricants/pads/hoses/belts/etc.)

just my opinion.

yours, PG  

jason.thompson
Guru
Posted: 08/14/09 08:41 AM

I want one bad.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator
Posted: 08/14/09 10:23 AM

While we're on the subject, the parents of a high-school friend of mine had a non-turbo 300 D sedan. Also, just the other day around my neighborhood, there was a '77 240 D automatic for sale for only about $2,000 or something. I was kind of tempted to make a move on it, but I've got no place to put it, and I'm not exactly gushing with money right now.

I also think a tech article on hot-rodding the OM617 would be cool.  

jason.thompson
Guru
Posted: 08/14/09 03:03 PM

Yeah PG we should put an article together. If you have cool pictures send them to

jason.thompson@sorc.com  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

prestigegunleather
User
Posted: 08/17/09 05:54 AM

to all,

IF any of you want help finding/buying a MB diesel, PM me. i know of LOTS of excellent cars/sw.

NOPE, i'm NOT a dealer. just an enthusist & am willing to help.

yours, PG  

YoungBenz
New User
Posted: 09/01/09 07:37 PM

IMG 0695

IMG 0696

IMG 0698

this is my diesel benz. i put the stack on about 3 months ago. other performance mods include 24psi of boost and i turned up the fuel in the pump, similar to a different fuel plate in a p7100, and a k and n intake i made. she will blow some black smoke too.  

Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator
Posted: 09/02/09 08:01 AM

Ha! Gotta say that's the first time I've seen a hood stack on a 300 SD. That's pretty original.  Smile  

prestigegunleather
User
Posted: 09/04/09 07:41 AM

YoungBenz;esanchez,

rotflmRao!!!

IF anyone from M-B sees that SD, they'll "have a cow".
(ask me sometime about the "factory offer" that a fellow from MD got from M-B to buy his 600 series Mercedes that he had "cobbled into" a pickup truck - M-B "management" was NOT "amused", as the 600m is "the flagship of the line".)

yours, PG  

123 Last

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power