FORUMS

123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

6.7 Cummins vs. 6.4 Power Stroke vs. LBZ/LMM Duramax

Edward A. Sanchez
Administrator
Posted: 10/19/06 11:32 AM

Of the new-generation powerplants, which do you guys think is king?  

Bentwrench
New User
Posted: 10/19/06 04:47 PM

Obviously Duramax is the only one out now in the 07 with trucks on the street. The only thing that will change Jan. 1 will be the engine code to LMM with a PCD muffler addition. The power is the same.
Dodge will be a great contender as it adds some cubes and a 6 speed, i expect some work to be needed to work out the bugs. The power will be similar to the Duramax (350/650).
I sure hope Ford has its CRAP together this time, if not maybe its time to put a Caterpillar in it! Two turbos? Twice the problems! WTF was wrong with the 7.3!  
06 Chevy 2500HD LBZ CC/SB: Triple Dog/Crazy Larry, AFE ST2, MBRP 4" SS, 265 TOYO's

Torque Dog
New User
Posted: 10/19/06 06:04 PM

Too early to tell. Dodge and Ford will need some time to make small corrections after the release. GM should have a good product, but will face some serious competition. My opinion is that Ford has had 20 years to work out their problems, and the best they can come up with is the POS Powerstroke 6.0!  

Michigan725
New User
Posted: 11/08/06 07:41 PM

chevy is deff the best out there, the the cummins the i guess the powerstroke  

spotted ape
User
Posted: 11/09/06 07:23 PM

This months issue has the manufacture ratings of the new diesels and I belive the 6.7 is the better looking engine rated at 350hp.  

azduramike
New User
Posted: 11/10/06 07:45 PM

theres no ? about it ford needs to ditch the mechanical injection, am not sure if it happened in 07. Dodge needs to get there turbos to spool quicker and I could tell you a couple things I dont like about my duramax. But when it comes down to it a bad day in a diesel truck aint so bad after all  

tireman43
User
Posted: 11/13/06 12:10 PM

The 5.9L "B" series Cummins was the best. Now with the change I gotta stick with the D-max. It's the only one not making the drastic change and is still the power king of the bunch. We'll see what Cummins was thinking in a short time. With Ford  Confused  Confused  Frown who knows what they are thinking??  
05 Summit White CC D-Max, Hypertech III, Silverline Cool Duals, K&N, and more

DMAXPOWER
New User
Posted: 11/13/06 08:55 PM

Ok we all know the only good diesel ford ever had is the 7.3 witch ford did not make and they get rid of it that was dumb as hell dodge had a great engine too but they had to f that up to now gm is staying with the same engine for how long and dodge and ford still cant keep up you all can stroke and *** all you want i will make shure to let off so i dont blow your doors of to bad  

BCRAM
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/14/06 10:45 PM

I don't know how you can say Dodge F'd up the 5.9 by going to the 6.7.  It is exactly the same motor, just bored and stroked, (107mm bore by 124mm stroke vs. 102mm by 120mm on the 5.9).  The 6.7 has been available in Europe for awhile now, except it was the same 5.9 bore just longer stroke. No one would suggest GM F'd up the 454 by increasing it to 502.  You can not beat cubic inches. With the overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles more than 100,000 over the competition I would put my money on Dodge Cummins!  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

mxdiesel
New User
Posted: 11/15/06 08:42 AM

well as far as suspensions are concerned here in the ranch chevys are the first to give out, fords and dodges are what every hardworking rancher prefers...  

pwrstrk96
New User
Posted: 11/15/06 02:57 PM

What do you call the 6.9 Ford Diesel, bad?  Compare that to GM's 6.2 which was a piece of junk.  Then came Ford's 7.3L diesel not the greatest, but again compared to the competion of a 6.2, still better.  Now the 7.3L Powerstroke ('94) made by International and is arguably the best light diesel to date.  What was GM's diesel while the 7.3L Powerstroke was out, a 6.5L turbo diesel that was also a piece of junk.  Now, International does make the Powerstroke, but who makes the Duramax?? Isuzu!, not GM.  Figure it out before you trash talk here, and if you can't tell there is a record of crap diesels from GM, so be careful judging Ford or Dodge, b/c they both have a better track record than GM.  

DMAXPOWER
New User
Posted: 11/16/06 09:11 AM

6.2 non turbo was junk haha you deff dont know what you are talking about i had one yes it was not a fast diesel it is a real diesel it would pull anything you put behind it or in front i had one a 6.2 with 362,000 miles on it and pulled a F-250 7.3 WITH NO PROBLEM the only diesel that gave me a fight on that 6.2 was the old cumm the real cumm witch was a great engine they should have left it alone 6.5 was an good diesel too powerfull and strong only problem it had was fuel supply but after recalled and fixed it was a great engine i go by facts and as of 2006 the best diesel between powerjoke,cumm and Dmax the best is DURAMAX  

BCRAM
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/17/06 03:13 PM

Yep that 6.2 she was a real tire sredding killer.If memory serves me correct it had about 80 rwhp. I can remeber watching a new 6.5 on the dyno and it had less HP than a 7.3 non turbo. Pulling a 250 WITH NO PROBLEM? well I saw a Japanese guy pull a Boeing 747 with his teeth so lets not read to much into that. The DMAX Allison combo works great and if it wasnt for the lowrider frame and girlguide front diff you might see one in my driveway.  
2002 Dodge Ram 6 SPD Fass pump, afe cold air, mbrp 4" ss exhaust, 275hp RV injectors, edge ez, isspro gauges, South Bend clutch, track bar updated to 03-07 style, dss steering stabilizer system, 285 Cooper Discover

"If it doesn't have tit's a trigger or a throttle I'm pretty much not interested!"

tireman43
User
Posted: 11/20/06 11:41 AM

Hands down the D-Max is the best now. If the Cummins stayed with the 5.9, I would say them but they decided to make the change so we will see how that plays out. Also want to say that when GM/Isuzu merge is the reason the GM is so great now compared to the 6.2 and 6.5 of past. It just took GM a while to find the right mix. Ford has had International forever and they can't get it right and Dodge HAD the right idea with the 5.9 Cummins.  
05 Summit White CC D-Max, Hypertech III, Silverline Cool Duals, K&N, and more

spotted ape
User
Posted: 11/21/06 04:40 PM

Diesel engine makers were forced to make new engines becuase of the new emission standards. Dodge and Ford had to bring in a new engine becuase they do not have all the extra play in the computer like chevrolet does. All diesel makers did was make a bigger engine to compensate for all of the power robbing emmision crap.  

123 Last

BROWSE ARTICLES BY:

Subscribe Today and Save up to 83%!

Subscribe Truck Trend Magazine

Subscribe to:

Truck Trend
Magazine

PRINT DIGITAL
Subscribe Diesel Power Magazine

Subscribe to:

Diesel Power
Magazine