Heavy halfs vs 3/4 ton pricing

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Heavy halfs vs 3/4 ton pricing

flatblastard flatblastard
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/02/13
11:40 AM

Whilst shopping for a new truck I was sucked into the idea of purchasing a capable yet comfy "heavy half" instead of the 3/4 ton I would normally go for.

After visiting the big three configurators I was disappointed to learn that most of the heavy duty half ton configurations cost more than the slightly more capable 3/4 ton trucks and depending on which brand they range from $35,000-$50,000 after selecting the appropriate options.  One brand in particular only offers the heavy half on upper trims and cabs while another offers them only on mid to lower trims but all cab types.

After searching through pages looking for explanations I see many people saying that I must pay extra for the interior comforts and luxuries if i want a heavy half but to them I say how about the Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab Long Box 4x4 with zero interior power options, a vinyl bench, rubber floors and steel wheels but still costing $35,000 with max trailering/towing packages.  I can purchase a base 3/4 ton for less than $35,000.

I tow ~3500 pounds daily and only need to pull 10k pounds a few times per year for short distance.  Even though the heavy halfs would seem to be the obvious choice, for some reason I can't see past the extra price for less capability and no real comforts or luxuries except in the cheavy half which cost more than I make in a year working hard every day.  

Trade In Value