First truck for me

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

First truck for me

aazg12 aazg12
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/31/14
08:06 AM

Im 15 years old and my parents are looking at getting me a first car which of course will be a truck. My brother has 2 trucks which he built one to be a one of a kind and just got a dodge 2500 6.7 cummins. He knows alot about trucks. But he isnt god either. We were looking at dodge dakotas. By the way my parents want me to start with a smaller truck. The dodge dakota got my parents attention except that my brother said the engine they have " Magnum " arent very reliable. So he told me too look at chevy colorados. They are nice but hard to find in 4 doors in my city or cities around me. If someone can give me their opinion on which truck would be better that would be great. I am looking to make the truck nice not leave it stock. I will be adding alot to it  

flatblastard flatblastard
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 08/31/14
01:41 PM

The magnum line was eventually replaced in the Dakota pickups.  The magnum v6 was gone starting in model year 2004 which was also the last year for that generation.  2005 and up Dakota have the same v6 engine but with a new body style.

I wasn't sure if you wanted a v6, v8, 4x2, 4x4, manual or automatic though you did say you want 4 doors.  They were referred to as Quad Cab at that time.  I want to say the old magnum v8 was replaced around year 2000 which is also the same year the Quad Cab was first available.

BTW...most years of the dakota were in a class all their own.  Other options such as the colorado/canyon, ranger, and imports are much less of a truck IMO but in truth any of them would make a fine first pickup.

Good luck in your search.  

Trade In Value