2500 06 dodge Trany issues

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

2500 06 dodge Trany issues

nac80_80 nac80_80
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/16/12
06:48 PM

I just bought a 06 2500 Crew Cab with 116k. whenever I pull away form a stop it will not shift out of 1st gear unless I back off the throttle just a hair. If I don’t back off RPM's with go past redline. The previous owner denies any after market programs/chips. Any Ideas? Thanks Nick  

pepsi1 pepsi1
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 09/18/12
08:53 PM

I am not familiar with the Tranny's that Dodge use's.

I had a 2002 2500HD 4X4 6.0 Gas Engine, with a 4L80E transmission. The nicest feature about this trans. It had a seperate button on the end on the gear shift selector called a Tow/Haul mode. It was for towing heavy loads, and worked fantastic.

With the Tow/Haul mode selected. The harder I pressed on the gas pedal the  higher the engine RPM would go. From first gear through 4th gear. If I had the trans. in O/D it would go into those gears shifting very firm. It was like a shift kit at the touch of a button. I had an indicator lamp that came on in the dash when the Tow/Haul mode was selected.

I guess I took the long way to my point.

Is there a chance that Dodge has a trans that works similar to that? I would look for a seperate switch, button or if you have the owner's manual. Is there a section that maybe tells you about the trans.How to use it for pulling heavy loads, and what to do when pulling heavy loads.

The GM owner's manual has a complete section on how to set up for pulling heavy loads. How to load the truck and/or trailer your towing, and trailer brakes. ECT.

I'll say if I put my foot on the floor with the Tow/Haul Mode selected it would take the engine to it's highest shift point. I have a 32 foot enclosed 2 car trailer. If I had the trailer fully loaded the transmission was not as harsh.(The trans is designed for towing). What a transmission it never missed a heart beat. I loved it. I should modify one, and put it in my race car...

Hope this helps.

Bob  

barryjoe18 barryjoe18
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/18/13
01:30 AM

Tore down the tranny and rebuilt it.  

Trade In Value