I think it's the brakes

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

I think it's the brakes

Howard84 Howard84
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/23/12
10:14 AM

I think it's the brakes but correct me if I'm wrong please.  I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota and the last 5 miles of road from work to my house is pretty much deserted (I've only seen 3 cars on this road since I moved in almost 2 years ago) so what I like to do every now and then on this stretch of road is hammer it down.  I can only get up to 100mph before the governor kicks in and cuts the acceleration off but for all intensive purposes it's fun with a negligible level of risk.  However, sometimes when I get home after doing this I smell a burning smell coming from my truck.  I always get the oil changed and check the fluids.  I'm thinking it's the brakes because once the truck does hit 100mph it's about time to start slowing down to make another turn into my driveway.  I have to go from about 90-100 mph to about 40-50mph in about a half mile stretch.  I know that I shouldn't be doing this but you can't see a deserted 3 mile stretch of road and not be tempted.  I just wanted to know if my hunch is correct that the burning smell that I smell is indeed the brakes (since I have to slow down quickly) or if it might be something else that could cause me major problems in the future.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 09/25/12
11:35 PM

If it has a slight smell of rotten eggs then yes I would say your brakes.75%to 90% of your braking is done on the front brakes. Also rotor dust that builds up on the inside of your wheels when it heats up would also smell. I wouldn't be too concernd hammer down. Thats normal if you hammer down...It's always fun when the chance of getting caught is slim! Yeah they govern all trucks to 95 to 100MPH. It's do to tire ratings for trucks, and nothing else.I guess they think an 8 ply tire will still blow out above 100MPH. My 2002 GMC 2500HD with a 6.0 Sierra before it was totaled shut down at 100MPH. I bought a 2006 Impala SS 5.3 and went into the computer I put 180MPH tires on it you get the point...LOL...

Just one other thing can you see smoke coming off the brake pads. Sometime you can see a mist. Sometime it depends on the brake pads themselves...The brand or make. Next time see if there is a smell like a rotten egg.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 09/26/12
06:00 PM

One thing I could add. If your going to hammer down, the best way to slow any car,truck,motorcycle. When your first going to pull the shoot...LOL... Hit the brakes pretty hard,(brakes made today require a certain amount of heat to really work properly) then once you've done that keep pulsing the brake pedal. Let it actually release, and that momentary break on/off the pedal will actually help cool the brake pads and rotors. In turn will cut down on that rotor shutter when the rotors get warped. Try it....

Bob  

jasminerobert jasminerobert
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 10/03/13
05:12 AM

Most likely a stuck caliper, causing the brakes to overheat. Get it fixed soon or you will be replacing more than just pads.  

Trade In Value