Truck will not start

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Truck will not start

hounddog123 hounddog123
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/22/12
11:11 AM

I have a 1995 ford f 150 that will start and run for a few minutes,and then turns off.I was told i need a Air bypass value,because its sucking to much air in the manifold.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 02/22/12
06:19 PM

i would use a cloth shop rag.. and wipe out the throttle bores... while holding the throttle wide open..  Engine off of course..  

most of the black carbon sticky will come off..

i have sprayed brake cleaner on the folded town and wiped the bores with that..   when the carbon builds up around the throttle blades it reduces the amount of KNOWN and calculated air leak... so the idle control valve looses control..  its not a smart system like on other brands..

the idle air control valves DO fail..    they are in constant motion..    they are fairly easy to replace also..    a 5/16 or 8 MM deep socket  and a ratchet to fit it ..

to restore your fuel economy.. depending on which connector you have..  EEC5 or OBD2...   you will need to probably run a KOEO and  a KOER test...  write down the codes..   current or history..   then clear the codes...  and retest..  to get a PASS 11.. then the system will be restored to full power.. and economy...

if you have an OBD2 connector under the dash..  a few did..  you could use an OBD2 scan tool to access the trouble codes.. and go from there.  

either way.. you will need to clear the codes to restore power.. and economy usually...

sorry.. cars are complex beastz...  

barryjoe18 barryjoe18
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 01/02/14
12:22 AM

I think you will have to check out the fuses are working properly or not. Check out the solenoid. Check the fuel pump and ignition switch.  

barryjoe18 barryjoe18
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 01/02/14
12:23 AM

I think you will have to check out the fuses are working properly or not. Check out the solenoid. Check the fuel pump and ignition switch.  

Trade In Value