2011 Ford Explorer Studio Front Three Quarters

or

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Front Three Quarters Static Passenger 3  

lasvegascolonel lasvegascolonel
Enthusiast | Posts: 279 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 09/09/10
12:05 PM

The answer to this is simple...if you want off-road capability, the Grand Cherokee is the one, even though the styling is so similar to past Grand Cherokees.  The new Explorer, however, is very stylish and comfortable from what we hear, but it really is not the off-road vehicle, nor does it tow as much as the Grand Cherokee.  There are other factors one would have to consider, such as Chrysler's superior powertrain warranty (now 100K versus Ford's 60K), plus aesthetics, too, in that the Overland Grand Cherokee is nicely done with more wood inside.  Having had two Explorers, I'd have to go with the Explorer.  I like its looks, capability, and it seems to have excellent ride comfort which is important to me as a senior citizen.  
Retired USAF officer, enjoy testing new cars, providing results to local media writers.

nomallcrawler nomallcrawler
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/03/10
01:47 PM

lasvegascolonel already said it.  if you want to offroad and tow anything, go with the Jeep.  otherwise, save yourself the gas money and drive a minivan.  

scalewoodman scalewoodman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/08/10
10:26 AM

Have to go for the Jeep.  

Hate to say it (because I'd like to see Ford be successful with this name) but there's too much of the old Freestyle/Taurus X recycled in the new Explorer-- and it's too 'carlike' to impress me in the way that Jeep has done with the new GC.  The market niche is flooded with lots of AWD wagon CUVs at the moment (including and especially in the Ford lineup) to make the Explorer stand out other than progressive styling IMO.  

Jeep has stayed true to its roots while updating the look... and is a virtual bargain too.  There seems to be some market backlash re-emphasizing good old Yankee brands and traditions.  Jeep is right on the wave of that.  

Trade In Value