Dodge Durango to Use Magnum Nameplate for 2012

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Dodge Durango to Use Magnum Nameplate for 2012

bkong bkong
Administrator | Posts: 599 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 01/19/10
06:57 PM

Chrysler continues its naming games by reportedly renaming the Durango, which will soon be known as the Magnum. Remember the last Dodge Magnum?

2008 Dodge Magnum Srt8 Passenger Front 34 View

Icon Quote:
According to an Autoblog source, Dodge will abandon the Durango nameplate for the model's replacement due for 2012. In place of that two-generation designator, Chrysler is exhuming the Magnum nameplate, a moniker used on the low-slung wagon built on Chrysler's LX platform up until 2008. The new Magnum is expected to be built atop the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee chassis (itself riding on Mercedes-Benz-derived architecture) and skew more toward the crossover segment than the previous rough-and-ready SUV.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/19/source-next-dodge-durango-to-be-called-magnum/  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/20/10
02:31 PM

I actually kind of liked the original Magnum. I was sorry to hear they were discontinuing it. I don't know if I'm necessarily a fan of the name being resurrected on more of a crossover-ish SUV, but that's what's selling. It will be interesting to see what the new model turns out to be.  

Astro95 Astro95
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/22/10
03:12 AM

The Magnum I miss was the old '79, the Cordoba lookin' luxury car!  But seriously, I think changing the names around only confuses the customer.  

Trade In Value