Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17

2010 Ford Transit Connect Wins 2010 Truck Of The Year....Why??

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

2010 Ford Transit Connect Wins 2010 Truck Of The Year....Why??

thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 131 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 01/11/10
05:06 PM

2008 Motor Trend Truck Of The Year Contenders

By now most of you have probably heard that the 2010 Ford Transit Connect won the 2010 Truck Of The Year. While I applaud Ford's victory yet again from the competition, I can't help to ask the question....WHY??? I'm no truck expert nor do I claim to be one but the Transit Connect doesn't exactly look like a truck to me. So how did it win the Truck award??

Ford those of you that might not remember the contenders let me refresh your memory.

2010 North American Truck of the Year nominees:

Acura ZDX
Audi Q5
Cadillac SRX
Chevrolet Equinox
Ford Transit Connect
Honda Accord Crosstour
Land Rover LR4
Lincoln MKT
Subaru Outback
Volvo XC60

Now I'm sorry but I see no truck on this list. If anything this would be a great crossover list or even SUV. But has the truck world really changed that much? How did the Subaru Outback become a truck? Really...a Honda Accord Crosstour?? I'm sorry but in my opinion not one of these vehicles qualify as a truck.

The list of contenders should have looked something like this:

Ford F-150 (Series)
Ford Ranger
Ford Raptor
Dodge Ram (Series)
Dodge Dakota
Chevy Silverado
GMC 1500
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Titan
Nissan Frontier
Hummer H3T

Now before people start to chew my head off....yes I understand that the rules for becoming a contender must be “all-new” or “substantially changed” from the previous model to qualify. Either way this would have been a much better list to chose from than that sad excuse for contenders. Anywho does anyone here feel that the choice was the right one?? Anyone here have a truck they'd like to pitch in?? What are your thoughts??

Source: Automotive
Source: Contender List  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/11/10
05:11 PM

Haven't we been over this before? If you're going be the purist definition of "truck" then the TC wouldn't qualify. But consider the Subaru Outback won MT's SUV of the Year. By all definitions, it's a wagon. I'd say considering its mostly commercial mission, the TC is as legit a truck as the Outback is an SUV, probably even more so.  

cmka.1 cmka.1
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/28/10
05:03 PM

Having the Connect win Truck of the Year did seem odd but....  What catagory would you put the Connect in to win a prize?  There is no such prize as Van of the Year is there?  Besides who would care?  I would not buy a Connect in my near future but I do like the packaging.  The styling particulartlt the front fascia is going to get old quickly.  Not to mention the funny smell they have inside them  

Posted: 01/28/10
05:34 PM

Icon Quotecmka.1:
Having the Connect win Truck of the Year did seem odd but....  What catagory would you put the Connect in to win a prize?  There is no such prize as Van of the Year is there?  Besides who would care?  I would not buy a Connect in my near future but I do like the packaging.  The styling particulartlt the front fascia is going to get old quickly.  Not to mention the funny smell they have inside them

Well the Connect doesn't necessarily have to win any awards. But I just believe that Truck of The Year shouldn't have been an award handed to it. That's all.  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

cmka.1 cmka.1
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/30/10
07:15 AM

I am with you on that comment.  I think it is worthy of acclaim.  It is definately not a truck.  

Posted: 02/04/10
11:00 AM

Icon Quotecmka.1:
I am with you on that comment.  I think it is worthy of acclaim.  It is definately not a truck.

Yep....not a truck at all.  

Trade In Value