Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/08/10
09:57 AM

Red Horse tabs Piquet Jr. for Daytona Truck race
By Team Release
February 8, 2010

MOORESVILLE, N.C. --
Red Horse Racing announced Monday that Nelson Piquet Jr. will drive the No. 1 Toyota in the 2010 Camping World Truck Series season opener at Daytona.

The Brazilian born, former Formula 1 driver participated in two tests for Red Horse Racing to acclimate to a different style of race vehicle. The tests at the Motor Mile in October 2009 and at New Smyrna Speedway in January 2010 helped Piquet increase his comfort level. He also drove in the ARCA event on Feb. 6 at Daytona where he started seventh and finished 27th.
Getty Images
Piquet Jr.

At 24, Piquet has experience in several racing series around the globe. He finished fifth in the South American Formula 3 Series championship after running only half of the races in 2001. Piquet also became the youngest driver to win the British F3 title. In the Formula 1 feeder series, GP2, Piquet earned one race win and four podium finishes in his first year.

ING Renault signed Piquet as a test driver for their F1 team in 2007. After a year as a test driver, Piquet got his chance to race in the F1 series alongside teammate Fernando Alonso in 2008 and 2009.

"I'm very excited. The size of the Daytona track is amazing. I can't wait to reach 200mph side-by-side in a tight drafting pack of trucks," Piquet said. "The plans for the season are coming together really well. I can't wait to get out on track and start my NASCAR career."

"We have closely observed Nelson in our testing and believe he has a great future in NASCAR. He exhibits excellent car control, gives good feedback, but needs the side-by-side experience. He'll get plenty of that in Daytona," Tom DeLoach, managing partner of Red Horse Racing said. "Nelson has a huge international following which hopefully will attract a race partner for the team."

Source: NASCAR  

Trade In Value