Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17

Should The Ford Flex Replace The Ford Explorer??

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Should The Ford Flex Replace The Ford Explorer??

thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 131 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 01/27/10
01:46 PM

2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost Front Three Quarter

Ford Explorer America Concept

It's no secret that the Ford Explorer started the trend of the SUV. The explorer has sold more than 6 million in its life time and is still a decent sale for Ford. However it's also no secret that people are shifting to smaller more fuel efficient cars and the Explorer doesn't exactly scream that. In comes the Crossover.

The Ford Flex, in my opinion, is the best deal for the buck. It's innovative design and stylish looks, not to mention room, comfort, and yes fuel efficiency, is definitely a winner for Ford. Now there has already been talks about the next generation Explorer and how it's going to be 25% more fuel efficient. This got me thinking.

Should Ford consider killing the Ford Explorer, the SUV most traded in when the Cash for Clunkers program took effect, and push the Ford Flex to the top??? Or should the Explorer still stick around even though it's been here for so long??

I personally don't like the unibody Explorer...just my opinion on the vehicle. At the same time I do think the Flex has what it takes to be number 1 in the crossover segment.

What do you think??

Source: Flex
Source: Explorer  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/27/10
03:43 PM

I share the same beliefs as most of our readers. Yes, they both share the same platform, but Ford needs an off-road capable vehicle. I know the Flex can go on mild dirt roads, but to real adventurous out doorsman, the Explorer can do so much more... cant want to test one when the new ones come!  

cmka.1 cmka.1
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/28/10
03:56 PM

I think the Explorer is a totally different vehicle.  The Flex is a trendy vehicle but it will not replace a traditional SUV.  Eventhough the Explorer is going to more of a CUV platform it still looks like it will fill the nitch that people may want from a traditional SUV.  What I would like to see is the Flex platform be used for a new Ranger(Explorer Sport Trac).  There is a need, as much as some people do  not want to admit, for a small truck plat form.  Most buyers that are in the market for a small truck do not need it to tow 7500 lbs.  You could make a nice crew cab pickup off that platform.  Make the truck more like a traditional truck but with some nice aerodynamics, not like a RidgeLine or Avalanch.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/28/10
04:33 PM

I honestly don't think most midsize SUV buyers know or care whether or not their vehicle is body-on-frame or unibody, or has a transverse or longitudinal powertrain. The only major downside to going to the Flex platform is going to be a major reduction in towing capacity. I suspect current Explorer owners that use their vehicles for towing that come in for a trade-in will probably be talked into Expeditions.  

thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 131 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 02/04/10
11:09 AM

Icon QuoteMelissa:
I share the same beliefs as most of our readers. Yes, they both share the same platform, but Ford needs an off-road capable vehicle. I know the Flex can go on mild dirt roads, but to real adventurous out doorsman, the Explorer can do so much more... cant want to test one when the new ones come!

Though I agree with your statement on the platforms and capabilities.... I tend to see today's explorer more like a soccer mom's car. It's rare at this point seeing an 09 Ford Explorer as an off road vehicle...or four wheel vehicle. Personally most of the people tend to use trucks, jeeps, or large SUV's. This is why I think it's not such a bad idea if the Ford Flex could replace the Explorer.  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 02/04/10
05:46 PM

Well, regardless, a stock 4x4 Explorer wouldn't be my first choice for tackling the Rubicon. I seriously doubt even low-range will make the transition to the new unibody Explorer. But I doubt it will be missed by the majority of potential customers.  

Trade In Value