Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17

Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

Truck Trend
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 05/29/08
10:26 AM

I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all the hate?

discuss-  

Scott2124 Scott2124
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/30/08
08:53 AM

Icon QuoteMelissa:
I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all the hate?

discuss-

I feel that also is a sad thing. The Tundra is a very nice truck, and offers about everthing a person could ask for in a 1/2 ton pickup. I have spent thousands of miles in a Tundra, and the total package is at the top of the game. The truck will not appeal to every one, if it did no one would buy anything else. I just don't get why people hate the truck so much.

Just to add one thing to this comment, the Tundra is 85% US built truck, and that supports the US economy. The GMT900 is built in Canada. Confused Look up the others.  
-----------
Got a Beer?

qwer qwer
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/30/08
08:42 PM

Heres a question for you.  How can Truck Trend take a 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton and have a accurate test.  First of all the winner is a 1/2 ton that is failing the test of time (about a year).  How can you test the trucks when you can not even match the curb weight of all the vehicles.  If you where to try and match the curb weight of 1/2 ton verse an 3/4 ton you couldn't.  Due to the fact the difference is more than the payload.  3/4 ton curb weight 7600 1/2 curb weight 5500 = a difference of 2100.   The payload of the winning 1/2 ton 1500 +/- 150lbs.  

Thens there the issue of only towing 7,000 lbs.  thats fine but put 24,000 lbs (capacity of the F-450 tested) behind the Tundra and see what happens.
So what was the point of this test?  It really did NOT prove anything.

So why did Comsumer Reports change thier rank on the Tundra reliability to "much worse than average"???  

artimusbill artimusbill
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/18/08
11:27 PM

If I could afford to buy a new one, I would. I love my 01 Tundra.  

jadeveau jadeveau
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/19/08
09:17 AM

I think the Tundra is a good truck.  Not a great truck, but completely capable for the average truck owner.  The dislike comes from the fact that the Tundra was not created from an American company.   Yes it is built here in the states, which does provide jobs and helps our economy, but a majority of the profits go overseas.  It's also a jealousy thing, like being pissed at your brother for being taller or getting more girls than you.  The Tundra can do a lot of things just as good, if not better than the big three.  I love my F150, but can appreciate the Tundra.  Hopefully Ford and Dodge's 09 models will help keep the pickup truck an American icon.  

jadeveau jadeveau
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/08
09:17 AM

[  

Inland_Line-X Inland_Line-X
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 04/08
01:51 PM

From what I have seen on other forums and owners coming into my shop is that the tundra has poor gas milage ( 12.5 ) and down to 4 mpg pulling a trailer.  

artimusbill artimusbill
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 07/08
06:16 PM

Inland_Line-X, if they are driving Crewmax, 5.7L, 4x4s, and even look at the throttle hard, I would expect that kind of mileage. In town, I get like 14-15 mpg with my Access Cab 4.7L 4x2. I would think the Crewmax would out weigh mine by a 1000 lbs or more. I have little experience towing, so I don't know how "bad" 4 mpg pulling a heave load would be. Doesn't sound good though.  

cjs_motortrend cjs_motortrend
New User | Posts: 40 | Joined: 12/07
08:25 PM

I drive a Tundra and I can attest that there is a lot of animosity. I've gotten most the animosity on the road from GM drivers. I have been denied lane changes by aggressive Escalade owners. I have had dirty looks from Chevy owners. It has not gone unnoticed by me. I have not gotten the same resentment from Ford or Dodge owners. Then again, it could be that the Tundra is direct competition for Chevrolet. They are very close in design and target market. They are the "refined pickups". The Ford and Dodge target the "Bold" or "Tough" market.

The Tundra is my first step into the full-sized truck market. If I were to do it again, I might consider a heavy-duty which means that Ford's Super-Duty would battle with the Ram for my dollars. Ford needs to add a gear or two to their heavy-duty, Dodge needs to update that interior, and I need to win 50K in the lottery. So I can see why GM might be upset with Toyota selling a product in their target market, but I can't understand why GM owners get so upset. Given all things equal, I could not overlook that Toyota produced hybrids and sold electric vehicles while GM forced their EV1s to be crushed against their owners' wishes (while I was subjected to a bunch of Hummer commercials). I couldn't reward them for it. It cost GM two purchases (the Tundra AND the high mileage vehicle for if gas prices went up).

I am not completely down on U.S.-built products (my Tundra was built in Indiana). I would own a vehicle from Dodge, GM, or Ford. However, my last two got me on first name basis with my service managers not to mention the $500 dollar a month average repair bills. So I wasn't ready to make another financial commitment just yet. Lately I've been keeping an eye out for that new Challenger, but even that Focus has started looking pretty good too.  

materialman materialman
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/21/08
06:08 AM

I am sure the Tundra is a decent truck. I know the Tundra is built in America. I still don't want one. When is America going to wake up and realize that great American companies make us who we are? Americans building products,taking care of their families, and the money stay's in America, not going to Japan. We need these companies to survive people, and that means we buy American products. Don't tell me the Tundra is a "much better truck" then the Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, that is BS period. When we build something equal or better then a foreign made product, but it! Help keep American jobs, it matters! I see all these Korean dealerships going up and it makes me sick. When are we going to wake up? If they offered the Tundra at 50% off, I still would not buy one. The full size pickup market is the last group of buyers in this country that "get it" and have pride in American built products. Let's keep it that way.  

toyotageek toyotageek
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/21/08
10:02 PM

the toyota tundra is the best 1/2 ton pickup sold in america period. *** all these rednecks owning cheveys,fords,or dodges. my father just bought a limited crewmax and it totally shut all the pickup truck owners in my neighborhood down  

materialman materialman
Posted: 08/22/08
01:53 PM

Well you and Daddy enjoy your "Pearl Harbor Limited Edition" Tundra and continue to send all your money to Japan. Me and all the Rednecks will continue to buy Fords, Chevys and Dodge's. Support American companies, it matters. Maybe someday you will understand.  

526hemi 526hemi
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/23/08
01:20 AM

Hi my name is Larry , i'm new to this so please 4give if I screw up. The reason why I can't stand that piece of crap toyota [ in other words ramdra] , because there is really nothing new about it. For God sake it has an F@3ked up RAM frontend, F150 styled cab and a Nissan styled bed with a Chevy smallblock V8! So where's the new part at?    Oh I forgot , a crappy frame like every other toyota product SORRY !   Please let me know when they make their own truck not someone's else.  

materialman materialman
07:25 AM

Screw up??? Heck I thought it was an excellent post My Brother. Well said Larry!  

526hemi 526hemi
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/08
12:20 PM

Thanx Materialman for your reply back. But i'm so sick and tired of these "so-called americans" supporting the Japanese instead of AMERICA DAMN'T!  Yes i'm a California redneck after all I love NASCAR .    But I still won't drive any new Fords , I don't want an Toyota F150 or Ram F250 or F350. Where's the real Fords ?  If people want to support Japan then move there. They make F@#ked cars like everybody else.  My friend [poor bastard] has a piece of crap toyota turdra , always in the shop because the bed bouncing & wobbiling all over the place , oh yeah really good truck [you wish].  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Trade In Value