Dodge transmission

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Dodge transmission

warrelmann3 warrelmann3
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/11/09
11:11 AM

I've been looking for a new 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck.  All the info I've gathered over the past few weeks is overwhelming.  I was corresponding with a salesperson at a Dodge dealership and he told me that the 2009, 3500 Ram truck was equipped with a mercedes-benze transmission.  To make a long story short, when I told the Chevy salesperson this, he laughed and said that the Dodge salesperson was full of $_ _ _.  I can't find anything to support the Dodge salespersons claim.  Help!  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 10/12/09
11:40 AM

As far as I'm aware, the only Mercedes-based transmission in Chrysler vehicles, aside from the Sprinter, is the W5A580. This was used in all of the automatic Hemi-powered LX cars (Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger) and the Grand Cherokee SRT8, as well as the turbodiesel model.

The reason some people are confused is that Chrysler has two 5-speed automatics, the 545RFE and the W5A580. The 545RFE is an in-house Chrysler design that is a modification of the earlier 45RFE four-speed automatic. The 68RFE currently used in the Cummins 6.7 is a further evolution of this family, with a larger bellhousing and stronger internal components to handle the substantial torque output of the Cummins.

So if you were to do some research on the Chrysler transmission family tree, the six-speed transmission used on the current Cummins is a distinctly Chrysler design, as compared to the W5A580, which is essentially a Mercedes design.  

bkong bkong
Administrator | Posts: 599 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 10/12/09
05:38 PM

Icon QuoteEdward A. Sanchez:
As far as I'm aware, the only Mercedes-based transmission in Chrysler vehicles, aside from the Sprinter, is the W5A580. This was used in all of the automatic Hemi-powered LX cars (Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger) and the Grand Cherokee SRT8, as well as the turbodiesel model.

The reason some people are confused is that Chrysler has two 5-speed automatics, the 545RFE and the W5A580. The 545RFE is an in-house Chrysler design that is a modification of the earlier 45RFE four-speed automatic. The 68RFE currently used in the Cummins 6.7 is a further evolution of this family, with a larger bellhousing and stronger internal components to handle the substantial torque output of the Cummins.

So if you were to do some research on the Chrysler transmission family tree, the six-speed transmission used on the current Cummins is a distinctly Chrysler design, as compared to the W5A580, which is essentially a Mercedes design.

Correct, I didn't see the W5A580 mentioned anywhere in the 2009 Ram 2500/3500 specs table.  

pastorfletcher pastorfletcher
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/16/11
06:09 AM

The Ram has two autos. Both are 6 speed, one is called an Asian transmission made in Japan, the other is a Dodge transmission. I had one in 2009 and it operated great. It also had a thumb shifter so you could operate the transmission manually. It worked great. It was a copy of the Allision tranmission.  The Asian tranmission came in the cab and chassie model only. The 6 speed auto has two overdrives (5 & 6).If you want to tow the 3.75 rearend is the best all around.  

Trade In Value