2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor vs Chevy Silverado ZR2

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor vs Chevy Silverado ZR2

thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 131 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 11/03/09
01:49 PM

The SEMA Show is upon us and the F-150 Raptor stole the spotlight last year and left Chevy in the dark. This year Chevy wanted a piece of Raptor and decided to take the Silverado into an off road level.

The F-150 Raptor recently received the new 6.2-liter V8 engine that pumps out 411 hp and 434 lb-ft of torque. At the same time the Raptor went into a new special edition segment with another Raptor dubbed the FR Raptor XT. The XT will be limited to a run of 50 units and is an extreme truck; it's not street legal and will sticker at $99,950. So you can see the Ford is pushing for the spotlight once again.

Not to be outdone GM decided to bring a concept to the SEMA Show with the Chevy Silverado ZR2. The ZR2 has a supercharged 6.2L LSA V-8 under the hood creating a whopping 550hp. Thanks to the cavernous space below the Silverado's hood, the LSA and its six-speed automatic transmission dropped right in with little effort and Chevrolet easily fitted a custom stainless steel exhaust system. Being that it's only a concept no price is obviously given.

So which would you take....the Raptor or ZR2???

2010 Ford F 150 SVT Raptor Front View

2010 Ford F150 Svt Ford Raptor Interior

Chevrolet Silverado Zr2 Concept Front Three Quarter View

Chevrolet Silverado Zr2 Concept Interior

Source: Raptor
Source: ZR2  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 11/03/09
01:58 PM

Right now, the ZR2 is just a one-off show special, whereas the Raptor is a genuine article, walk into your dealer and buy it truck. I think Chevy is certainly implying that it could sell a Raptor-like vehicle if there was enough demand, but I don't think you can realistically compare the ZR2 to the Raptor. Besides which, the Raptor looks a lot more purposeful and purpose-built than the ZR2 concept. I'm generally a Chevy Fan, but the ZR2 doesn't look like anything that special to me.  

grantu1w grantu1w
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 11/11/09
09:18 AM

I'm not a big Ford fan but I would go with the Raptor any day over the ZR2. It's a special design truck thats ready to be abused from the factory, not a one off that would just get torn up from the abuse.
Chevy threw something together to say,"Look at me, I can do it too!", but with 20" rims and a pretty paint job its just not up to the task of either the Baja style Raptor or the Mohabi style Power Wagon.  
Wake Up America!
-Earl Pitts

Posted: 11/13/09
11:58 AM

Yeah, I actually had a chance to look at the ZR2 in-person at SEMA, and it really struck me as a slapped-together show special. Not in that it was poorly done, but that it was a bolt-on truck, not an "engineered" truck like the Raptor. Granted, the engine (essentially the same as the CTS-V) is impressive, but other than that, not really. A few carbon-fiber body panels are cool for eye-candy, but the suspension didn't look like anything had been done other than a generic off-the-shelf lift kit.

At least Chevy would have had a little more credibility with me if there were some recognizable off-road hardware underneath it, like King Racing Shocks, Bilstein, Pro Comp, or at least Rancho. Nothing. Just plain-Jane off-the-shelf black shocks. Disappointing.  

thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 131 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 12/14/09
10:46 AM

Icon QuoteEdward A. Sanchez:
Yeah, I actually had a chance to look at the ZR2 in-person at SEMA, and it really struck me as a slapped-together show special. Not in that it was poorly done, but that it was a bolt-on truck, not an "engineered" truck like the Raptor. Granted, the engine (essentially the same as the CTS-V) is impressive, but other than that, not really. A few carbon-fiber body panels are cool for eye-candy, but the suspension didn't look like anything had been done other than a generic off-the-shelf lift kit.

At least Chevy would have had a little more credibility with me if there were some recognizable off-road hardware underneath it, like King Racing Shocks, Bilstein, Pro Comp, or at least Rancho. Nothing. Just plain-Jane off-the-shelf black shocks. Disappointing.

Engine power seems to be the one thing that Ford is lacking in there trucks. Yes I know that the Raptor comes in different packages which includes more power but I just think the base Raptor should have at least 400hp....that's just my opinion.  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Posted: 12/15/09
04:38 PM

Well, one's a concept, and one's a production model. So until Chevy brings a serious contender to market, and puts it in the showroom, this round is Ford - 1, Chevy - 0.  

red211 red211
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/28/11
02:55 PM

fords are for *** if you want a real truck thats gonna last buy a chevy the ford raptor sucks and has tons of problems  

dubois-zr2 dubois-zr2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/24/11
06:27 AM

hey .. i dont know for you .. but me im from canada (quebec) so im french sorry for my english .. but at the montreal auto show .. gmc canada presente the new gmc zr2 and the truck come whit fox racing shock like the raptor .. and a electronic unlock stabilizer bar for rock crawling ... led baja lightning ... full skid blate that make a flate under body truck .. and comme whit a choise of 17-18-19-20 inche wheel whit 38inche tire and you have 3 choise of tire stock , bf mud terrain - bf all terrain ta - or toyo mud terrain ... and a choise off 2 engine 6.2 gaz engine or the duramax engine whit a biger turbo ..... and new front end not like this picture bigger front end like the ford 350 super duty look ... soo im a gm chevy fan .. and i like what i see at montreal auto show ... but i think the gmc zr2 all terrain ( look on google GMC ALL TERRAIN ZR2 ) blow the prize  .. i was probly more thant 80.000$ ... so i hate ford a lot but , i still like the ford raptor i think is the best truck ford build .. like mustang is the only go car ford made the rest is crap ..so if you want ford by a raptor or a mustang ... but gm is still beter for me ..  

Trade In Value