The Future of Hybrid Trucks & SUVs

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

The Future of Hybrid Trucks & SUVs

grantu1w grantu1w
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 10/19/09
12:08 PM

With all the new hybrid technology can they build a fullsize truck and suv with a stong enough hybrid system to actually be benificial and worth the hybrid premium?

Also, with the reputation of trucks being dependable, long lasting work horses, would they even be well recieved with todays buyers?  
Wake Up America!
-Earl Pitts

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 10/20/09
03:46 PM

I think their catching on in the suburbs... but i haven't see one tow any thing on the highways as of yet.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 10/20/09
03:54 PM

Supposedly the next-gen truck hybrid system from GM will be capable of towing 9,000 lbs. (compared to the 6,000 lb. capacity of the current models.) I've also heard it's going to be a 4-mode system!

Just because a lot of people associate hybrids with the Toyota Prius doesn't mean they're just for small cars. There are many different versions of hybrids. "Hybrid" just means they get their propulsion from more than one source. I think this is why GM is adamant in referring to the Volt as an "extended range electric" rather than a hybrid, since the engine is only there to keep the batteries topped off, not to actually provide any direct propulsion.

Many heavy truck manufacturers are starting to introduce hybrid systems, such as Paccar and Navistar. Although any design has its limitations, there's nothing to say hybrids are inherently weaker than traditional drivetrain systems.  

grantu1w grantu1w
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 10/21/09
02:53 PM

Very true since most current hybrids on trucks mainly shut down the engine during deceleraton and idle, and newer ones help slightly during acceleration, other than that the engine is still doing the lions share of the work.

How welcome would the systems be with contractors and those towing on a regular basis. If they could incorporate the hybrid systems to power tools and other electrical accesories for contractors while only runing the engine intermitantly instead of continuously like some, the may be welcomed. However most tools a construction contractor uses draw high amperage which can damage even some generators.  
Wake Up America!
-Earl Pitts

Trade In Value