Jeep towing capacity

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Jeep towing capacity

catlover catlover
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/29/09
12:08 PM

I just bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Laredo), 3.7L V-6 4X4. It is equipped with a towing package, 2" X 2" hitch receiver (I don't know if this has anything to do with my question or not). The operating manual section on trailer towing shows (among other specs which I have taken into consideration, I think) a Gross Trailer Weight of 3500 lbs and a GCWR of 8200 lbs.  I am looking for a small camper and have looked at one with a dry weight of 2900 lbs and GVWR of 3500 lbs.  According to the manual, I should be able to tow this (although I would be limited to one passenger and very little gear).  Two camper salespersons have told me that my vehicle will not pull it, or that it might pull it, but only on flat terrain.  I want to pull it in the mountains (not the Rockies, the Appalachians).  Why should it not pull what the manual says it will pull?

Catlover  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 09/02/09
05:01 PM

It'll probably pull it, just not very fast. Before you do anything, I'd install a transmission cooler, because that's probably what's going to take the most punishment with a small engine and a trailer.

If you intended to tow from the start, the V-8 or diesel probably would have been a better choice, but you can tow lighter loads with the V-6.  

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 09/04/09
10:59 AM

Even if you think your jeep can pull more then its rated for. Just remeber, if you are involved in an accident, you will be head responsible because you where over the max weight. A lot of people don't realize that the rated Max.. means the rated Max to be legal.  

Trade In Value