Shame on Toyota! And on Truck Trend!

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Shame on Toyota! And on Truck Trend!

fordtech9 fordtech9
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/02/09
01:56 PM

I recently picked up a issue of Truck Trend at the magazine stand and was interested to see that Toyota seems to be offering some nice supercharger kits via its TRD department.  As the previous owner of a Ford Lightning and a Dodge Ram SRT-10 I was more than excited to see their kit installed on a regular cab,short box Tundra. The horsepower and acceleration times were awesome, however I was extremely saddened to learn that the entire vehicle is not even close to being available!  According to Toyota's own website and my local dealer, Toyota does not even offer (now or in the future)a 5.7L V8 in the regular cab standard box 2wd Tundra.  The only available engine in the 2wd regular cab/standard box Tundra is a 4.0L V6.  Basically, the vehicle listed in the article is a factory custom and not an accurate representation of what is available to the consumer.  One would have to buy two Tundra's and swap the entire powertrain's and then buy a TRD supercharger kit.  All the listed performance and cost "data" is a lie as the base vehicle is not available.  Exactly what was the purpose of that article?  

bkong bkong
Administrator | Posts: 599 | Joined: 07/08
04:08 PM

I'm not sure where the mixup is, but here's the link to the 2009 Tundra Regular Cab 4x2 with the 5.7L V-8 and standard bed:

Click me!  

fordtech9 fordtech9
06:29 PM

I followed your link and it does seem as though i may be wrong.  However when i go to "build your'e own tundra" and type in my zip code (53227) it will not let me build the truck you have listed, is their possible regional restrictions?

http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/init.do?zipcode=53227&seriesCategory=17&lang=en  

THUNDERA THUNDERA
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 03/03/09
08:46 AM

I believe your previous research as led you astray.  The Tundra is available in regular cab, short bed configuration with any of the 3 available engines (4.0 V6, 4.7 V8, 5.7 V8), just like all of the cab/bed configurations are.  However, you cannot have the S/C installed from the factory, it must be installed at the dealership - but still retains the factory powertrain warranty.  Buy one and enjoy!  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 03/03/09
11:17 AM

There's been a lot of controversy about this issue. Although the Tundra is available in a short-box, regular-cab configuration with the 5.7, it's evidently an extremely rare combination, especially in certain regions. In fact, in Toyota's online configurator, when I type in a So Cal zip code, it doesn't even appear to be available.

Essentially, I think it is available special-order or special request, but probably not a combo you're going to find on every dealer lot.  

fordtech9 fordtech9
Posted: 03/04/09
08:03 PM

Am going back to the dealer tomorrow(Wilde Toyota in West Allis,WI) to see if truck is available, will post after i visit.  If one could actually buy a 2wd 5.7L tundra for a mere 24,680(as listed in the link) what a steal that would be.  The performance on that truck even with out the TRD supercharger would have to be on par with some of the better sport trucks built so far.  

Trade In Value