Ad Radar
Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17

TTG: How do I remove the key from the ignition on a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo?

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

TTG: How do I remove the key from the ignition on a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo?

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 12/30/08
06:11 PM

Q: How do I remove the key from the ignition on a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport? It won't come out and seems to have something to do with the button on the shifter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: The problem is definitely related to the shift-lever pushbutton. The button is part of a safety feature to prevent the transmission from coming out of Park until the ignition is turned on. And at the same time you can't remove the key until the transmission is taken out of gear and put back in Park. There's a cable routed between the lock cylinder assembly in the steering column and the shifter assembly in the console. When the ignition is turned to the "accessory" or "run" position, the cable releases the pushbutton on the shifter, allowing you to depress the button, release the shifter, and put the transmission in gear. A common issue with some 1998-and-up Rodeos is the shift-lock cable coming out of adjustment, preventing you from turning the ignition to Lock and removing the key--just like when you accidentally leave the shifter in gear. The adjustment procedure is a bit too complex to explain here--not rocket science, but it involves partial disassembly of the steering column for access to the lock cylinder assembly to adjust the cable correctly. So you're better off getting it to an Isuzu service department or a qualified independent repair shop. It shouldn't be too expensive.

If you have a technical question regarding your pickup, SUV, or van, feel free to contact Alex Steele, a master technician with the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. Send a letter to him in care of Truck Trend Garage, 6420 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048, or e-mail us at trucktrend@sourceinterlink.com.

Have you ran into this problem or know of a solution you'd like to voice, Post it below!  

Trade In Value