TTG: How do I replace the A/C unit on a 2001 four-cylinder Isuzu Rodeo

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

TTG: How do I replace the A/C unit on a 2001 four-cylinder Isuzu Rodeo

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 12/29/08
11:18 AM

Q: How do I replace the A/C unit on a 2001 four-cylinder Isuzu Rodeo? The compressor is leaking, and the dealer told me I have to replace the entire unit. Is that true? If so, how can I do it myself?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: A common refrigerant leak from an A/C compressor comes from the input shaft seal located front and center of the compressor, behind the clutch and pulley assembly. This seal actually can be replaced for much less than the cost of a new compressor. However, a lot of shops prefer to swap the entire unit because it's a simpler job that doesn't entail additional knowledge, special tools, or the risk of the repair not correcting the problem. Other leaks, for instance the O-ring connections at the A/C hoses or a defective pressure switch mounted to the compressor, shouldn't require replacement of the compressor under any circumstances. If there's a leak coming through the side of the compressor housing itself, that's when it's a good idea to replace the whole thing. Replacement of your Rodeo's compressor looks fairly simple. It's mounted up top and requires removal only of the serpentine belt, A/C hose connections, an electrical connector or two, and the typical mounting hardware. Of course, you have to recharge the system with 1.54 pounds of R134a refrigerant when you're done. If the job sounds a bit much, let the shop do the work.

If you have a technical question regarding your pickup, SUV, or van, feel free to contact Alex Steele, a master technician with the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. Send a letter to him in care of Truck Trend Garage, 6420 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048, or e-mail us at trucktrend@sourceinterlink.com.

Have you ran into this problem or know of a solution you'd like to voice, Post it below!    

Trade In Value