TTG: 2003 Silverado 1500 4x4 Suspension Rattle

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

TTG: 2003 Silverado 1500 4x4 Suspension Rattle

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 12/23/08
01:36 PM

Q: My 2003 Silverado 1500 4x4 has a rattle coming from the truck's suspension on slight bumps. It sounds as if something is loose, like a metal-on-metal rattle. You can't hear it with the windows up or the radio turned up. I've been under there multiple times and can't seem to find anything that would cause the noise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: Your rattle can be hiding out in a whole bunch of places. It's always smart to inspect the entire suspension for any loose or worn parts and put a wrench on every bolt to confirm they're all tight. Even jouncing the truck up and down or banging on components one by one with a rubber mallet can help track it down. And a technician with the proper tools would have the advantage of utilizing an electronic listening device to zero in on the noise. But there are two particular areas of note. One is the lower insulators (round rubber bushings) on the top of the front shock absorbers. These insulators are centered on the shocks by plastic pilot rings. The rings have been known to wear out prematurely, misaligning the insulators and causing squeaks and/or rattles from the front suspension. You can avoid buying all-new shocks by replacing the insulators with modified part number 15834275--double-check with Chevy parts. Also check the stabilizer links that attach the stabilizer bar to the lower control arms. They're simply long bolts, with four bushings that look just like the shock insulators. They may be worn and loose. There are also cases where they haven't been torqued sufficiently and need only be tightened up.

If you have a technical question regarding your pickup, SUV, or van, feel free to contact Alex Steele, a master technician with the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. Send a letter to him in care of Truck Trend Garage, 6420 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048, or e-mail us at trucktrend@sourceinterlink.com.

Have you ran into this problem or know of a solution you'd like to voice, Post it below!  

Steve Sharer Steve Sharer
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/10/14
09:55 AM

Icon QuoteTruck Trend:
Q: My 2003 Silverado 1500 4x4 has a rattle coming from the truck's suspension on slight bumps. It sounds as if something is loose, like a metal-on-metal rattle. You can't hear it with the windows up or the radio turned up. I've been under there multiple times and can't seem to find anything that would cause the noise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: Your rattle can be hiding out in a whole bunch of places. It's always smart to inspect the entire suspension for any loose or worn parts and put a wrench on every bolt to confirm they're all tight. Even jouncing the truck up and down or banging on components one by one with a rubber mallet can help track it down. And a technician with the proper tools would have the advantage of utilizing an electronic listening device to zero in on the noise. But there are two particular areas of note. One is the lower insulators (round rubber bushings) on the top of the front shock absorbers. These insulators are centered on the shocks by plastic pilot rings. The rings have been known to wear out prematurely, misaligning the insulators and causing squeaks and/or rattles from the front suspension. You can avoid buying all-new shocks by replacing the insulators with modified part number 15834275--double-check with Chevy parts. Also check the stabilizer links that attach the stabilizer bar to the lower control arms. They're simply long bolts, with four bushings that look just like the shock insulators. They may be worn and loose. There are also cases where they haven't been torqued sufficiently and need only be tightened up.

If you have a technical question regarding your pickup, SUV, or van, feel free to contact Alex Steele, a master technician with the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. Send a letter to him in care of Truck Trend Garage, 6420 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048, or e-mail us at trucktrend@sourceinterlink.com.

Have you ran into this problem or know of a solution you'd like to voice, Post it below!  

Did you ever find out what that rattle was? I have the same issue...hasn't led to any other damage yet after 111,000 miles. Its annoying and weird because I've searched everywhere.
This is the first post I've seen referring to this "rattle"; not to be confused with the common-place Silverado condition known as the "clunk".  

Trade In Value