Item Posts    Sort Order

Dodge Ram Owners Report Dashboards Collapsing, Cracking

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 05/01/07
04:26 PM

Dodge Ram Owners Report Dashboards Collapsing, Cracking

Icon Quote:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Several owners of 2001 Dodge Rams are reporting that the dashboards on their vehicles are mysteriously collapsing or cracking, possibly putting their lives in danger, according to a Local 6 News investigation.

Local 6 showed video from the inside three 2001 Dodge Rams belonging to Central Floridians. Two of the vehicles had cracks and the third had a large hole on the dashboard.

"The (dashboard) is practically sunk," Local 6's Steven Cooper said about one of the vehicle's dashboards. "Think of this as a sinkhole on your dashboard."

Billi Hilt was the first viewer to report the cracks to Local 6 News.

Hilt said she called Local 6 after she called someone at Dodge.

"He told me it wasn't a recall item so there was absolutely nothing they would do about it," Hilt said.

Another Dodge Ram owner in Central Florida, Suzanne Hudson, said she got the same response.

"I had gone to the Dodge where I had purchased the truck and had showed that to them and they said they were aware there has been problems like that in the past but (it is) not a recall problem so they would pay for half of it," Hudson said.

Hudson said once her dashboard caved in, she started having electrical problems.

She said a mirror and front speaker no longer work inside the vehicle.

Hudson said the wiring was either clipped when the dashboard collapsed or started melting when the hole left wiring exposed to the harsh sun.

Hudson also said she was traveling down a road at night and tried to turn on her bright lights when her Ram's lights instead shut completely off.

"It is a safety issue now," Hudson said.

Dodge Ram owner Scott Whitney said he is convinced the apparent dashboard problem is unique to Dodge.

"You don't see Chevrolets running around with cracks or Fords running around with their dashboards caving in," Whitney said. "It's definitely a Dodge problem. As a matter of fact, my old Dodge that I drove for 15 years that a friend of mine has the dash is still in tact."

Whitney told Local 6 News that his truck was bought in Maine.

Hilt said she purchased her Dodge in Pensacola and Hudson said her purchased her vehicle in Inverness.

"If the Internet is any indication, the problem is not unique to any zip code," Local 6's Steven Cooper said. "People from all over are reporting the same apparent defect."

"They were going to ask me to pay for half of it and the truck was too new for me to absorb that responsibility and have to pay for it," Hudson said. "I expect them to step up to the plate I'm not interested in buying a dodge again because they're not backing their product."

Dodge owners who would like the government to know about your case, they are urged to click Safercar.gov and file a complaint.

"As for Dodge, the company will only say that it is reviewing records to identify customer inquiries on the issue," Cooper said.

Customers are urged to call 800-992-1997 to report any concerns.

Click here to watch Video report.

Source:
http://www.local6.com/money/13227601/detail.html  

thekoof thekoof
Enthusiast | Posts: 312 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/03/07
10:10 AM

That's just sad. Dashboards shouldn't just collapse like that.

I like there "dramatic" zoom-ins they made in places. :lol:

Would have gotten more out of it if I had some headphones with me.  

connerick connerick
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/03/07
11:09 PM

I'm another ,used to be, proud owner of a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. I too have no dashboard. Well, if you concider a jagged, jig saw puzzle of sharp pieces a dash....that's what I have. This started right after the warranty. I bought the truck @ 28,800 miles. The first crack appeared @ 31,500 miles. Within a 4 month period, most of the dash had major cracks. Then the cave ins started. And when the work on my A/C was done, I had no dash at all. Now, I'm finding out that this is in no way an isolated issue. Many are complaining about the same thing.
Dodge needs to step forward and claim responcibility for this issue. Obviously, a manufacturer defect is occurring. Never, in my 36 yrs. of driving and owning many cars & trucks, have I seen anything like this.  

thekoof thekoof
Posted: 05/10/07
01:03 PM

Very sorry to hear that connerick. Wish you the best on the issue.  

.CJ .CJ
User | Posts: 204 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 05/15/07
06:23 PM

Wow...Dodge has some serious issues.  

tvlandman tvlandman
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/18/07
08:04 PM

Nope. It's not just the 2001's. My brother's 1996 Dodge Ram is doing the same thing- its cracked in four places and is nearly to the point of collapsing in. It all seemed to happen overnight, too. One day we got in the truck, and it was like "What the crap?!". I'm glad to know that others are having the same problem and not just us. At first I thought it was an isolated incident.  

thekoof thekoof
Posted: 05/23/07
11:34 AM

Sorry to hear that man. Dodge must have bought some really cheap plastics for that to happen.  

plastazurra plastazurra
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/28/07
06:38 AM

Hello, I own a 2003 ram  and my dashboard is also falling apart. I saw pictures of other dodge trucks broken dashboards and my dashboard looks a lot worst than most of them. I called the dodge dealer where i gat my truck and they told me that the dashboard was not covered under warranty. I f it only had 1 crack I would not be as upset but my dashboard has 8 cracks on it and its looking terrible. I belive I might start having problems with the electric under the dashboard if I dont get the problem fixed. I am starting to think about the overall quality of the truck. My sister, brother and I have all bought brand new trucks from the same dealer at Sanford, Florida. If the dealer does not help me replace the dashboard, I assure you they will loose our family bussiness.
Thank you Frown  

Skeeter1 Skeeter1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/17/07
02:47 PM

Add me to the list. Are all these dashboards gray?  I Dodge doing anything?  

Skeeter1 Skeeter1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/17/07
02:48 PM

I mean Is Dodge doing anything?  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 90 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 06/18/07
09:14 AM

I wonder if humidity is a mitigating factor in all of these dashboards collapsing. I was once a Dodge Service Advisor and have seen my share of problems unique to Chrysler vehicles. Never once did I see a collapsed dash, but I live in Southern California. Wow, a collapsing dash. And I thought I had seen everything.  

madpawn madpawn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/19/07
09:22 AM

the dashboard on my 99 dodge ram 1500 quadcab looks like a roadmap, it has so many cracks. dealership tells me it will cost $420 to replace. i live in charlottesville virginia  

ed_r1 ed_r1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/21/07
09:52 AM

Hey,I just happen to come across and said WOW!. Yesterday I got in my 2001 Dodge Ram and saw a large crack across my dash board and couple of smaller ones around it also. It just happened, just like that and it sits in the shade about 95% of the time. I live in Harrisburg, PA. I couldn't believe this crack, I take real good care of my truck. To me, this is the straw that broke the camels back, it's bad enough getting 8.5mpg, now this!!!  

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 06/21/07
10:14 AM

WOW.. i cant believe that there are so many dodge ram owners conflicted with the problem. Thats a shame dodge hasn't stepped up to this problem yet  

thekoof thekoof
Posted: 06/22/07
09:39 AM

Shame on you Dodge.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Trade In Value