Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17

2009 Ford F-150 takes "truck of the year" title!

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

2009 Ford F-150 takes "truck of the year" title!

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 12/16/08
11:20 AM

As predicted, (my prediction before we started testing), the newly revamped and re designed F-150 was voted as Motor Trend's 2009 Truck of the Year.

It was my pick from the beginning, even though I not eligible to vote on the matter. I was still happy that the one truck i did like won.

So whats your take on our new truck of the year for 09?  

bkong bkong
Administrator | Posts: 599 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 12/17/08
11:27 AM

It was going to be between the F-150 and Ram once the contenders were announced. Both were redesigned, and there's nothing special enough about the Equator or H3T to knock out the big names from Ford and Dodge.

I think nowadays it's going to come down as a bottom line cost for both trucks; they're quite similar in features, etc. Hopefully the Ram dashes don't fall apart like reported in the forums here.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Moderator | Posts: 577 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 12/31/08
11:13 AM

Overall, the Ford is probably the most capable and best-built truck, but Ford really needs to step up its game when it comes to engines and powertrains. The 5.4 just ain't cutting it anymore. I know so far, they've announced the new 6.2 is only going to be available on the Raptor model, but I think they should make it an across-the-board option on the F-150. Even in the short-bed, regular cab model, like Toyota does with the 5.7 in the Tundra.

And I know Ford has cold feet with diesels, but the 4.4L Powerstroke would really add credibility to Ford's assertion that it's the truck leader. As it is, it looks like either Dodge or GM are going to beat it to the half-ton diesel punch.

EcoBoost V-6 looks promising, but I don't think it's going to be a literal V-8 replacement for a lot of buyers. There are some buyers who will want a V-8 regardless, even if the EB matches it in towing capacity and beats it in fuel economy. If anything, I'd dump the 5.4, and offer the 4.6 3-valve and the 6.2L, along with the EB V-6 and the 4.4L turbodiesel.  

bertb75 bertb75
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/25/09
08:45 PM

Did anyone notice that in one month both the Ford and the Dodge were almost a second faster in the 0-60.  The Dodge was also heavier.  Numbers compared to the half ton show down.  They both also stopped almost twenty feet quicker.  The home field advantage for the Silverado last month must have really helped out.  

Trade In Value