Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order
Locked Thread

Reader's Ride SpotLight: 1996 Isuzu Oasis

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/21/08
12:25 PM

Not you’re everyday minivan --It looks more like a Honda Odyssey, but I found this modified yet rare 1996 Isuzu Oasis for sale on a European enthusiast’s car site.  

At first glance this just looks like your average Honda Odyssey minivan under all the gleam and glamour of its imported JDM body parts and flashy 19-inch Leon Hardiritt Bugel wheels. In some ways it is just an Odyssey, but this was Isuzu’s way to introduce more vehicles into a segment it was trying to break into. The Isuzu Oasis for the most part is and was a rebadged Honda Odyssey. Isuzu’s version of the minivan didn’t last long and very few of them sold in the U.S.

The current owner of this Isuzu is no stranger to souping up minivans. He currently has five project vans in his collection. I asked the owner why he chose the 1996 Isuzu Oasis as a project van and this is what he had to say: “I chose the Oasis because it was a cheaper option at the time; the Odyssey was at a high value when I was purchasing, and not many people knew that the Oasis was an exact counterpart, so used sales were real slow for an Oasis. And I wanted an Odyssey project.”

The exterior went through a lot of changes that included replacing bits and pieces of the Oasis with Odyssey JDM counterparts: Odyssey chrome door handles, chrome rear license-plate frame, chrome mirror covers, V-6 custom front-grille conversion, front fenders, window visors, sunroof visor, sunshine roof-top conversion with sunroof, Odyssey headlight w/city light, clear corner lights, clear side markers, clear rear taillights, and JDM ra6 foglights. Along with the body-part swapping, the owner added the Kenstyle Urban 8 body kit, Spirits VIP wing and shaved smooth the antenna, roof rack, and door moldings and added a custom flared rear-quarter panel to finish off the aggressive look of this minivan.

The interior was left untouched. The front seats where replaced with Recaro LS’ and wrapped in blue suede. The rear seats and door panels were rewrapped to match and the head interior roof was color matched. Other interior enhancements include JDM custom rear center console, plush fur rear carpet and dash cover, Msport wood steering wheel, Elevo sport quick release, Momo hub from supra, JDM HOP wood shift knob, JDM HOP wood dash accents, Rallye 5 panel wink mirror with chrome vented backing, Broadway accessory mirror, Junction Produce White Fusa and Gold Kitsune Rope and that doesn’t include the entertainment system he added as well.

While little Jonnie and Sara Sue sit in mom’s racer minivan, they are also entertained by the JDM Gathers Double din touch-screen CD, TV, nav head unit with the Gathers TV antennas with the help of a Rockford Fosgate 600w amp, a 10-inch Rockford Fosgate subwoofer and a few five-inch Infiniti kappa mids.

What makes this minivan even more outrageous is the fact that the original engine was replaced by a H22A Honda motor and furthermore souped up with a DC Sport ceramic header, HKS Powerflo filter, Injen intake pipe, Koyo Style Aluminum Radiator, Greddy Radiator cap, Greddy radiator Overflow, Kenstyle catback Exhaust system, relocated Buddy Club racing battery, and Rtype Vtec controller.

Check it out at:
http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30101

IMG 5176
IMG 5174
IMG 5172
IMG 1259  

zero6 zero6
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/19/09
10:31 AM

I had a problem similar to this(no overheating though), but it was all caused by my radiator cap which was holding too much pressure before popping to let hot coolant go to the overflow reservoir.  

910131325 910131325
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/20/09
08:30 AM

If you really want a car to mod then audi is probably not a good car if your on a budget, I'm saying this because a A4 was my first car and I also wanted to highly mod it but the parts for the a4's are a pretty penny.  

zercath1 zercath1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/20/09
02:59 PM

The Rotary's brakes deserve special mention. Without complicated proportioning devices any pickup's brakes are a heavily compromised matter: the rear ones are likely to be overly eager to lock up when the bed is unloaded.  

Trade In Value