Truck Trend
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevrolet fail to warranty Duramax Diesel Engine

rasesp rasesp
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/11/07
03:31 PM

I have a 2004 Chevrolet K2500HD Duramax Diesel truck which I purchased new in Dec. 2003. The engine has blow up for the second time now at 68500 miles. It is stock and has no chip or other enhancements. The engine just went bang, clank, clank while driving home on the highway at 60 mph. Chevrolet says that I must have spraying WD40 into the air intake system as the all valves in a single cylinder broke off and destroyed the entire engine. This makes their problem mine and they refuse to offer any warranty assistance what so ever.

Yesterday I saw an article on this site that discussed GM settling a year old issue on a 2002 Duramax engine that also broke valves and destroyed the engine. I am looking for help on this matter as the repair cost will cost somewhere around $22,000.00 to replace the engine. If anyone can help I am all ears.  

tiger71tiger tiger71tiger
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/12/07
10:26 PM

C cracked
H heads
E every
V valve
R rattling
O oil
L leaks
E every
T time  

duramaxx0404 duramaxx0404
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/13/07
06:09 AM

reading your article i have a 04 c4500 with it in the shop for the 5th time for injectors. GM offered a cash offer which didnt cover even the repair. you should have recieved a letter extending warranty to 200000 miles. Make sure the vehicle goes also to a GM repair shop!You also need to start calling their GM resoultion center if at that point they do not respond do like I did contact a attorney. This is the only way they will respond to your issue. There are many issues that i found out about the duramax engine from 00 to 04
In your case a friend of mine GM bought the vehivle back and offered cash ! So dont be dishaeartened as long as you continue to let them know you know there are issues they will after awhile they should make good as long as you also have all your records. Also what you might want to do is get a copy from a dealer on the vehicle history its free! Good luck  

rasesp rasesp
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/07
03:09 PM

Thanks for the support. I am looking for an attorney, but I can't find anyone who wants to take on GM. I live in a small town and haven't given up looking for the attorney.
Local dealer Ed Bozarth Chevrolet in Grand Junction, CO. still wants me to pay $650.00 for the  tear down (remove head)or $18,500.00 to repair the engine. This is because GM won't back the warranty.  

jimmyzz jimmyzz
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
09:33 PM

Can
Hear
Every
Valve
Rattle
On
Long
Extended
Trips  

Ugor Ugor
Posted: 12/16/07
06:52 PM

As a tech familiar in the warranty field, this is a ploy by the manufacturer to get out of covering the repair. In order for them to deny the claim they have to prove you put WD40 in the intake system. Unless they have physical proof the substance was in the engine when it failed, they have no case and it won't hold up in court. They will deny the repair as long as they can hoping you will give up. Just keep following up and continue to call them. Ask for a claims manager, ask the dealership service manager to help you. They should be able to tell them if the WD40 is in the engine.  You can also request a GM factory representative to look at your vehicle with your and he can explain thier position on the claim. I would exhaust all your options before you go to the expense of hiring an attorney. If the engine should be replaced under warranty it should not have to cost you out of pocket.

Good Luck  

duramaxx0404 duramaxx0404
Posted: 12/22/07
05:32 AM

i have a phone number at GM executive office it is a direct line to this office and explain what your issue is to them. if you post your email i will forward this to you.good luck  

duramaxxred duramaxxred
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/26/07
03:38 PM

I am having problems with GMC. I have an 04 duramaxx
diesel, that let me down 4 weeks ago, transmission wise. It has 44,000 miles on. This is the first major problem I have encountered. It has been in the shop since then and I am wrangling with GMC over who is going to pay for the new transmission. They have now decided we should split it 50/50. I am not in agreement with that. You said you had a direct phone # you would share. Can you help me out ????  

Duraquez Duraquez
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/28/08
04:01 PM

Send me the number too..
My truck gave in at 101000. A glow plug fell in the #8 cylinder now they want a 1000 to open it up and see te big piture...They GM dealer said they were'nt sure about the warranty beasce i'm 1000 mile over the 100k...
I'm gonna fight it...  

ekim1 ekim1
User | Posts: 170 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 02/29/08
11:18 AM

wow, that must be nice to have that  

85lebaront2 85lebaront2
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/07/08
09:11 AM

I stumbled on this thread researching for a good friend who moved into the boonies and no longer has internet available at reasonable speeds/price. He has a 2003 Silverado 2500HD. The IHI turbocharger took a dump Saturday with 65,000 miles. The dealer and GM are telling him "tough" and want $600-700 to "tear it down and examine the turbo. He needs to get the damn thing fixed. First question, how the heck do you get it off? We have a local shop that is a service center for the turbo, so he is going that route rather than the $4400 for a new one. Anybody got any information on longer warranty periods? Thanks,
Bill Vose  
Old School Hot Rodder
"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional"

85lebaront2 85lebaront2
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/07/08
05:37 PM

Update, after several calls to dealer, GM hotline etc. he called a friend at another dealership. He is having it towed there and should only have to pay $100 deductable.  
Old School Hot Rodder
"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional"

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 07/08/08
08:54 AM

ooo good.  

wldr wldr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/04/08
11:17 AM

I have an 2001 Duramax 2500 4x4 hd and only have 87,000 miles on it.  Now I need a new engine, maybe new heads and the tranny is slipping. I think GM should stand behind there trucks or stop making them!!!  Maybe hire some engineers from Toyota.  

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?  

wldr wldr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/04/08
11:18 AM

Confused I have an 2001 Duramax 2500 4x4 hd and only have 87,000 miles on it.  Now I need a new engine, maybe new heads and the tranny is slipping. I think GM should stand behind there trucks or stop making them!!!  Maybe hire some engineers from Toyota.  

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?
Confused  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Trade In Value