Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chrysler's start/stop system

Truck Trend Truck Trend
Administrator | Posts: 4666 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 11/26/07
01:04 PM

Icon Quote:

Chrysler will begin offering start/stop technology on some of its conventional engines in the not too distant future, reports Automotive News. According to Chrysler product development vice president Frank Klegon, the system will cost several hundred dollars per vehicle but provided no timetable for its availability.

It is expected that the technology, which shuts off the engine when the vehicle is stopped and starts it back up when the brake pedal is released, will improve fuel economy by about five percent. Hybrid vehicles are equipped with similar systems, including GM's "mild hybrids." Stop/start technology is also currently in use on conventional engines in Europe by both BMW and Smart.

Klegon also mentioned that Chrysler has plans to place the two-mode hybrid system, which debuted last week at the LA auto show in the form of the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango Hybrids, into more vehicles. To us, more two-mode hybrid vehicles -- especially cars -- would be a welcome development for the automaker that can't come soon enough.

Source: http://blogs.motortrend.com/6221442/car-news/chrysler-planning-start-stop-system-more-two-mode-hybrids/index.html

I hate the feel of not being able to hear for feel the car when stopped. I love the rumbles and the vibrating. The hybrid stop and start thing freaks me out  

Trade In Value