Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17

If you are Shopping for a Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram read this...

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

If you are Shopping for a Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram read this...

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 90 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 06/13/07
10:40 AM

I have been a service advisor at both Ford and Dodge dealerships. While both companies make great Full Size pickups, I did notice a big difference between the two when it came to servicing requirements. I just figured I would pass it on to the public, so you would know what kind of expense you would face when buying either an F-150 or a Ram pickup.
   First off, the Ram (and Dakota for that matter) have rear differentials that the manufacturer recommends you have serviced every 12,000 miles. I am not making that up. Check the owners manual. I saw many a Ram pickup with Ring and Pinion problems in the rear diff. due to lack of service. The F-150, on the other hand, only requires servicing at about 90,000 miles. So that can save you a big chunk of change in the long haul.
   Secondly, the Hemi engined Ram requires its spark plugs (all sixteen of them...don't ask)to be replaced every 30,000 miles. Again the F-150 goes until 90,000 miles. While I think the Hemi is the better engine performance wise, it does require more maintenance.
  Does this mean I am recommending the Ford? Probably from a long term expense point of view I think it is the better value. But it is hard to argue with the noise from that Hemi. As I have no experience at a Toyota or GM dealer I don't really know the expense involved with maintaining a Tundra or GMC Sierra. But if you are shopping for one of those call the corresponding service department and ask the service advisor what sort of maintenance is required for the vehicle you are interested in. Always good to go into your new truck relationship with your eyes open.
Laugh  

joela joela
User | Posts: 64 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 06/14/07
10:43 AM

thanks for the advice!  

tpup tpup
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/24/09
06:15 PM

Wow thanks - I am seriously considering the Ram right now. Gotta' tell you though I like it much better than the Ford - probably enough to get it. The Ram dealer had some incentive where service for a certain period would be free. I will ask if the above would be included....esp. the rear differential servicing.  

heykenny heykenny
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/27/09
12:56 AM

There are way too many things about buying a truck to let these few details sway you....   but...   if these items about the Dodge bother you,heres a few ways to feel better about it... 1) put platinum plugs in the Dodge at your first change and quit worrying about that part.. 2)change the diff oil yourself. It's no big deal, really.3)feel good in knowing that when your buddys Ford powertrain warranty is over at 60000 mi.,  your Dodge warranty is good to 100000. Or maybe you bought a Dodge during the 2008 season when they were throwing the warranty incentives to left-over 2008 trucks,then you can take comfort knowing your powertrain warranty will be good for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!  But no matter which you choose, enjoy your new truck! Laugh  

hemiguy09 hemiguy09
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 11/27/09
10:16 PM

Hi i work for a Chrysler dealership it's not the Truck it is more like
the mechanice that needs the money I have had lots of Dodge cars and Trucks and the only one I had any kind of trouble with is the 08 Caravan and that was the rad cap Chrysler cound ont fix it so i just want and got after market cap no more trouble  

npatel123 npatel123
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 02/10/12
02:37 AM

The Ford F-150 has been the best full-size pickup and best selling vehicle in the USA. F-150's has a smoother ride than the Dodge Ram and its interior is more comfortable and quiet.  

No-authority No-authority
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/14/12
09:49 PM

You must not be much of a service advisor because when you go to change the plugs on a ford 5.4 at the 90,000 miles there is a good chance that you will have to have the heads pulled because the plugs threads get carboned up in the cylinder and strip when they are pulled out. Also let's talk about the cam phaser on the 5.4 a $1500 dollar fix that they all need at about the same mileage. Call any ford and ask them about both of these problems. The dodge hemi blows the ford 5.4 off the map in hp and reliability. I am a dealer ( no not a dodge dealer) and I buy and sell a lot of trucks the 5.4 ford is a gas sucking high maintenance gutless piece of s;:-t  

MaconHam MaconHam
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/15/12
03:19 PM

In response to the Ford 5.4 being the worst gas mileage, horse hockey. I drive a 4.7 L Tundra, of my two closest friends, one has a 5.4 L Ford and the other a Dodge (last year prior to Ram) hemi. My best friends 5.4 Ford, his 3 rd one in 10 years, with over 200 k miles on the 1st two, and each has beat my Tundra and the hemi on gas mileage. We travel together several times per year and all have feed each. My Tundra will average about 18 mpg on the road, the 5.4 19-20 mpg and the hemi 16 mpg. This is all on the road, lightly loaded if at all and not towing. We have all had good service with no repairs except for a few recalls scattered equally between the three. Beside oil changes, no other service has been performed on the current three, all are currently between 52 and 60k miles. Each have towing packages and about the same wheel base, the Ford rides the best. Both of theirs tow better than mine, but I have smallest engine of the three.  

Trade In Value