Ad Radar
Facebook Icon 17X17
Twitter Icon 17X17
Google Plus 16

Who really has the longest lasting truck?

Truck Trend
Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Who really has the longest lasting truck?

jessepatty jessepatty
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/03/07
02:31 PM

Ok I couldn't read this post without getting my 2 cents in here....

The answer to your question is simple and somebody has already said it...

It's the truck that provides it's owner satisfaction in driving regardless which make or model it is. A truck that satisfies it's owner would be better cared for and would ultimatly last a very long time.

I personally have owned all of them, gas and diesel... two Chevy Silverado's, One F-150, a Tundra and now I am in my SIXTH Dodge Ram.

Every single one of them had their good points and their bad points. Chevy's love alternators, Ford's love electronic problems and the Tundra just couldn't haul a load.
I choose the truck that provided me the most satisfaction in driving and gave me the most troublefree service.

Yes the Dodge Ram had Transmission issues way back in 94, the year of the first redesign but by the end of 95 all of the Dodge Tranny issues were resolved.

As I previously mentioned, I am in my SIXTH Dodge Ram...  I had a new 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 and now I'm driving a 2006. Five of these Rams have provided me with outstanding reliability and power to haul a load. The 2000 I just traded had 276,600 miles on it when I traded it. It looked great but after hauling a triple car carrier around for 250K+ miles it was mechanically pretty worn out but it still went down the road with no fear of breaking down.

In this day and age where vehicles cost in excess of 25K to 35K you will never be in an equitable situation unless you pay cash for it...  Financing such a large purchase is why people end up so up-side-down in auto loans, it's not the vehicles themselves.  It's the loans that screw people up not the vehicles.

In closing, I strongly believe that the best truck on the road is the one that makes you the happiest.
I am a firm believer in the Dodge Ram for work.

And in the words of the all mighty man above!
"Quit Strokin and start Cummin"

BTW, the 425 horse 6.1 Hemi will be introduced in late 07 or early 08 and will be an option only in the Ram and the New Challanger below:2008 Challanger news story
Dodge Challenger Concept 2006 2007 2008 1  

battaryacid battaryacid
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/28/08
06:34 AM

smaller trucks - Toyota
midsized and larger trucks - definitely GMC and Chevy

FORDS ARE TERRIBLE!!!

I've had so many fords and they have always been terible.  One F-250 had the clutch AND transmission go about 3 times in the 4 years i owned it.  Another blew a head gasket at 90,000 miles making the motor junk.  Many of the other fords had frame damage (about half from plowing) and all of the fords i have owned have fallen apart cosmetically and electrically.  The only good ford I have owned was a early 80's diesel.  

I haven't had much experience with dodge but a friend said the motors are great but their bodies are terrible.  

GMC trucks are great.  I beat on a 3500 and it lasted 200000 miles with very few problems.  It probably could have gone a lot longer if the oil filter was installed correctly preventing the motor from seizing as it did.   My current truck is a 3500 diesel with about 200000 miles.  It is also beat on.  I have not had a problem with it yet.  

All of my friend with small Toyota trucks have had great success.  There are also many small Toyota trucks on the road.  

I haven't had ay experiences with Hondas

I have been told Isuzus have bad motors.  

I havn't had and experiences with huge trucks  

fordsuperdutyf350 fordsuperdutyf350
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/14/08
04:11 PM

well i think fords last longest cuz my brother has a 99 f150 with the 5.4 triton that has over 310k miles on it and so far no problems yet.....but he has taken care of it fairly well. Cummins does last a while but the dodge doesn't. ford wins  

portageman portageman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/24/08
08:25 AM

You say Ford is the longest lasting, however, in the same breath you say they sell more than any other brand. IF IT'S SO LONG LASTING, why do they have to sell so many? You would think that if they lasted, you wouldn't have to keep replacing them!!!

FORD...........Frigging Old Reconditioned Dodge!!  

latonywoods latonywoods
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/08
04:05 PM

I own 2 Ford Rangers one is a 1994 (210,000 miles) which I purchased new and the other a 2002 (178,000 miles) which which was also brought new. the 94 ranger has proven to be very durable. The reason has to do with the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine and its single ohc design head. From a technical perpertive the least amount of  moving parts you have in a engine generally the longer its durability. That is the reason why I do not like pushrod motors because you have more internal moving parts, such as push rods and lifters which are very sensitive to clog oil (sludge build-up) passages in the block . Ford has only one engine in its line-up that use pushrods and that is the 3.0 liter v-6 used in the Ranger. However GM still uses pushrods in all of its engine offering, such as the 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2 liter. These engines are easy and cheap to manufacture because they are old tech designs, where as Ford, Toyota, Nissan use higher tech ohc and dohc designs which moves the valve train components outside of the engine block. Also more horsepower and torque can be generated with a freer flowing ohc design than with ohv, this is because more valves can be use in the heads, that's why GM has gone to large displacement engines to overcome the inherent inefficient of ohv design (6.0 and 6.2 liter engines) Ford 5.4 2009 320hp torque 390, Toyota 5.7  381hp torque 401, and Nissan 5.6 310hp torque 385
all off which equal or crank out more torque than the 6.0 liter GM v-8 367hp torque 373 or 385). In my opinion the Ford 5.4 is the most truck like engine of the group because of its high torque at low rpm ratio, and it has the longest stroke (4.16") of all the motors I have mention. The 5.4 is also use in the F 250 as the base motor where as the Chev 5.3 is not used in the GM 2500 series because of its low torque output at low rpm. I think the most durable trucks are in this order Toyota, Ford and Nissan, GM and Dodge.
I didn't mention Dodge, but the Hemi is a great powerplant and show the efficient of a hemispherical combustion chamber. Note; All Honda v-6's are sohc designs with excellent durabilitiy  

namzug namzug
11:44 PM

I have to agree with some of the comments about how well you take care of your vehicle. but in my opinion i think it goes ford, chevy/gmc, and then dodge. We have dodge trucks at the company i work for and their always giving us problems. we just got some new ford deisel trucks and already we can see the difference. and we already have about 60000 miles on them.  

namzug namzug
11:44 PM

namzug  

lilwyvern lilwyvern
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/28/08
07:49 AM

You have to realize when you count how many trucks are sold, you count only by the brand (even if it's made my the same company.  Ford itself may sell more trucks then Chevy, but if you were to "also" count the GMC version with it (instead of by itself), it would exceed the sales of Ford.  

lilwyvern lilwyvern
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/28/08
08:01 AM

As far as older Toyota trucks, yes, they hold up fairly well, but right now, Toyota quality has slipped big-time.  The new Tundra has actually scored the worse reliability with it's engine failures (camshaft problems), it's weak C-frame chassis that is prone to flexing causing the bed to warp cracking the tail-lights.  Tail-gates have fallen off when people load their ATV's in the bed of the truck.

Me personally, with the quality of Toyota slipping (like the tack welds in the Sienna van breaking causing the doors to fall off), things have changed.  Times have changed.

I will admit, their older trucks keep going and going, their new products are just terrible.  

rincewind1 rincewind1
Posted: 08/31/08
05:10 AM

being a "brit" and new tothis country i would have said that judging by how many olld chevy's are in scrap yardsand lying in fields that they must surely be the longest surviving trucks, some i have seen on my travels are at least 50 years old and still in 1 piece....granted not moving-but still here!  

materialman materialman
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 09/03/08
01:05 PM

That depends alot on how you use a truck and how you maintain a truck. I worked with a guy who had a documented million miles on a 68 Chevy. I have put over 200,000 on a couple of Fords. I have seen many,many Fords and Chevys with 200,000-250,000 miles. They are tough and can do the job.  

fullhouse fullhouse
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/04/08
08:52 PM

mine got 3 years, after that its slowly getting down. Its also a ford truck.  
Truck Lift Kits|Lamborghini Reventon replica

v8trucker4. v8trucker4.
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/22/08
07:04 PM

The only reason people buy Ford's is because they are cheap, not because they last longer. TOYOTA is the best.  
====================
Kia from korea

coolkak12 coolkak12
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/13/08
01:04 PM

in my opinion, chevy has the longest lasting truck ever built. but if u want something that you can beat the *** out of, buy a JEEP with an inline 6. its a 300,000 mile motor and they almost never break.  

papaseejay papaseejay
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 11/07/08
09:34 AM

Which trucks are used more for commercial or work trucks? A hard working truck won't last as long.
I've noticed (and maybe I'm wrong) that people who own Chevy trucks are more the home owner type that use them on weekends and some to just spice them up and look good. It seems more Ford trucks are working hard in construction etc.
I have a 2002 Ford F150 I use for work and it's never been in the shop in the 112,000 miles I've owned it. I do all the maintenance, use Mobile-1 oil every 10k miles, and amsoil full tranny flushes every 50k miles. It still rides perfect and is quiet. The Dodge I had before went thru two trannies, buttons fell off the controls, seat quit adjusting, sun visor brackets both broke off, the cat rattled, I found two exhaust manifold bolts busted off and left that way from the factory, the time chain wore out at 90k and the engine started smoking at 125k. There's more , but I'll stop there. I used all mobile 1 oil and synthetics and did the maintenance per the book and I had to trade it at 139k miles while still owing 1,500.00 on a second tranny.
If I can't keep the Truck 8-10 years with minimal repairs- in my book it's no good.
I have a vendetta against Dodge-( except for the 84 Dodge truck I had that wouldn't quit.)

I love my Ford!!!
*After that Dodge- I would probably Love the Chevy if I had one too.!!  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Trade In Value