2006 Ford Supercrew 4WD King Ranch, 5.4L

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

2006 Ford Supercrew 4WD King Ranch, 5.4L

cwr cwr
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/26/06
12:49 AM

While under my new truck changing the oil, I noticed the exhaust pipe just downstream from the Y and just before the muffler has an approximately 2 foot section of pipe inserted which is crimped on the top and bottom. This would appear to restrict the airflow and ,thus, reduce gas milage and performance. The Ford dealer said the crimp is intentional and was done to create turbulance in order to make the catalytic converters more effective but may harm the fuel milage. I have several questions about that. First, the catalytic converters are upstream from that section of the crimped pipe. How could that affect the converters? Second, Is the dealer correct? Third, why not remove the 2 foot section of pipe (it is a separate piece) and replace it with a smooth section for better milage? Thanks  

bubbahotep bubbahotep
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 09/26/06
10:59 PM

If the 2 foot section is separate, I would go ahead and replace it with a smooth section.  I'm no expert, but I can't figure out how the crimped pipe would effect the catalytic converter one bit.  Keep us posted with what you decide to do and your results !!  

Trade In Value