1991 gmc suburban exhaust system

Truck Trend
Item Posts    Sort Order

1991 gmc suburban exhaust system

bigrod01 bigrod01
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/05/06
10:37 AM

I am having an exhaust issue with my 1991 gmc suburban. i removed the catalytic converter because it went bad. i did not replace it because I live in a county that does not use the Clean Air Act. Since I have removed the converter and replaced it with a piece of straight exhaust pipe, I feel like I am being pulled from the light by a tow truck. I seem to have lost some back pressure somewhere. i talked to a supposed exhaust expert who told me that I need to replace the straight exhaust pipe with a 3 inch glass pack made for " big rigs " and add a set of flowmaster 40s. This seemed a bit much and also strange.
Is there an exhaust expert in the house that can lead me down the right path. The motor is in good condition and has had a major tune up with platinum plugs and msd wires. so I do not think the issue is ignition. Help ! Help!  

dfnlkn dfnlkn
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/19/06
12:02 PM

Well, I would first check for any codes or reason why the cat might have gone bad other then age. If all that checks out then either get a full exhaust system that will fit your truck or replace the cat with a new or used one that still functions. That will allow you to regain the backpressure that you lost and help the people behind you at the light.  

Trade In Value